Re: [HCDX] 4980 - Ecos del Torbes inactive???

Re: [HCDX] 4980 - Ecos del Torbes inactive???

Bogdan,

Ecos del Torbes (4980 kHz) is active again. I can hear it every night until
its usual sign off at 0400 UTC.
But - as experience showed us - what is active today can be well inactive
tomorrow.

GOOD DX,

Karel Honzik
the Czech Republic
************************

> Hello !
>
> I used to be a regular listener of the program Ecos Rumba on Ecos del
Torbes in the
> past late summer/automn. They were quite easy to hear on 4980 short-wave
using just a
> simple Realistic DX-351 with a simple indoor wire attached to it`s
telescopic antenna
> and puted in the computer floppy disk wich acts as a radiator for this
weak signal
> (the comouter was OFF of course to avoid noises). They were heard almost
nightly with
> a fairly strong aignal, until about 3 or 4 months ago. Several DX-ers
including
> Berglund Johan of Sweden have`n`t recently heard Ecos. A friend of mine,
David
> Hochfelder has heard something in SS on 780 (wich proved later to be Radio
Coro,
> another venezuelan that transmitt on 780 too, and checked 4980 to
establish a parallel
> to see if it was Ecos or Coro, but did not have heard anything on 4980).
Did Ivan
> Escobar have decraised power ? He did not have plans to desactivate the tx
after
> visists from DX-ers and shortwave hobbysts like Don Moore from Davenport
who visited
> Ecos del Torbes in January 1995. Or maybe he have changed directionnal
patterns. Did
> someone in Europe, the Pacific have heard Ecos del Torbes in the past few
months ?

> Also did someone know Ivan Escobar and what he plans to do with the 4980
tx ? I will
> probably go to Venezuela this winter. Many inactive venezuelans do not use
shortwave
> anymore, but still have a shortwave tx wich is just inactive for
economical reasons
> like power supply ( see http://donmoore.tripod.com/south/venez/cvr.htm ),
so they may
> give the transmitter to me. I may use for pirate broadacsting back home.
Pirate radio
> has always
> fascinated me. By the way, did anybody know what I have to do to put on
the air a
> pirate station, what antennas to use, etc...
>
> Bogdan
> P.S: If it is inactive it is sad, the only option for North Americans to
hear Ecos del
> Torbes will be to tune into 780 AM if conditions to LAm are reasonably
well. Here the
> only far-south station I got on 780 from my QTH in the Montreal region, is
YVMN Radio
> Coro. Nothing else !!!!!!!!! Except for WBBM, but that`s it west....

> Copyright (c) Hard-Core-DX.com
>
> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any
later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant
Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Text. A copy of the
license is available in http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.txt.