[HCDX] Tropical Hams: is it a real danger?

[HCDX] Tropical Hams: is it a real danger?

As you know, amateurs are asking for a small allocation 'near 5 MHz'.
Amateur stations run low power and, in my opinion, should not consitute a
threat to an already soon-to-be deserted band. At least, they should
constitute a less dangerous threat to dxing than DRM. Therefore I was
astonished to read the following interchange of opinions in the public
edxc-list:

> May I suggest that EDXC take some action against this idea descibed below.
> We dont need any more radio amateurs on the short wave bands. Especially and
> particularely not within the broadcast bands.
>
> If a world-wide or US only amateur radio band in the vicinity of 5 MHz
> should be implemented, these transmittes would cause severe interference to
> the broadcast stations in the tropical areas.
>
> Allready radio amateurs from North America are causing a lot of interference
> to international broadcasters in the 7.1-7.3 MHz area. We certainly dont
> need any more of that.
>
> What we need are considerable expansions of the current short wave bands
> allocated for broadcasting purposes. A.o. to make room for the new DRM
> transmissions due very soon. The new 2007 allocations are indded a step in
> the right direction but by no means enough.
>
> I would like to see EDXC working specifically in the interest of short wave
> listeners and DX'ers - in Europe (and elsewhere), and this could be done in
> cooperation with international broadcasters and it could be done by giving a
> voice to the interests of the smaller domestic short wave broadcasters (even
> though their numbers are on the decrease).
>
> By all means:  NO radio amateurs in the 60 metre band !!!!!

And the official reply:

> Therefore in the next days, after having gathered more reactions from you,
> I'm going to send our opinion in favour of Tropical Bands Broadcasting to
> the concerned authorities.

I guess we all are in favour of small Tropical Band stations, but I should
not like any General-Secretary writing around to authorities, saying that he
'represents all DXers' (it has already be done) and bla-blaying against
hams. DXers and Hams can get along without problems, DXers and DRM stations,
*not*. In perspective, an Ham presence on TB could preserve it from
monstrous developments like radars etc.
And any 'DXers against Hams' statement issued 'in the name off all DXers',
in the style of the actual General Secretart, would simply harm DXing.
I cannot express my view through the edxc list due to censorship.

Thanks for your attention.

Enrico Oliva