Re: [HCDX] Voice of Shari'a

For those interested, the Los Angeles Times' web site has an aerial
photo of Kabul that shows the locations of the TV tower and the "Radio
Afghanistan" building, among other things.  Both are labeled as
targets.  You can view it at
http://www.latimes.com/media/graphic/2001-10/831973.jpg

Valerio Di Stefano wrote:

> The jamming ended suddenly after 47 seconds, leaving the Voice of Shari'a
> free of interference. Less than a minute later, however, the station's audio
> was cut and then the transmission completely ended.
> Kabul was hit at 1609 GMT by a barrage of cruise missiles and bombs dropped
> from B-1 and B-2 heavy bombers. Sources on the ground in Kabul have told
> Reuters that an area outside of Kabul, known as TV Mountain - where radio
> and television broadcast towers are located, was strafed.
> "The explosions were much more massive than last night," a witness told
> Reuters. "I could see flames and debris rising from the foot of TV Mountain."
> Sakagami recorded what could be the final moments of Kabul's Voice of Shari'a
> broadcast. His exclusive recording can be accessed on ClandestineRadio.com
> and Radio Netherlands Media Network Web site.
> Pentagon officials have not confirmed reports that TV Mountain was targeted.

It may be too early to say if the U.S. is jamming the Taliban's Voice of