Re: [HCDX] CHINA - CRI MEDIUM WAVE BROADCASTS TO AUSTRALIA

Re: [HCDX] CHINA - CRI MEDIUM WAVE BROADCASTS TO AUSTRALIA

Hi all,

I read in Bruce Portzer's excellent "Pacific Asian Log", that the Geelong station on 1341 listed with the call-sign of 3CW, carries ethnic programming. This is also listed as 3CW in the ARDXC's "Australian and New Zealand MW Guide" though there is no reference to the format.

Bruce's guide is freely downloadable as an Adobe Acrobat file at http://www.qsl.net/n7ecj/

Furthermore, a comment in a very good Australian MW group (MW-Oz which you can join at subscribe-mwoz@xxxxxxxxxx) confirms that 3CW 1341 carries Chinese programming.

And if you're looking for MW news from New Zealand, there is another MW DX group called "Greyline DX" which can be subscribed to at http://radiodx.com/cgi-bin/listargate.cgi

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,
it is surely not easy to reach AUS from CHN on MW. It is at least 5000 km
from one coast to another.
Australian DXers maybe could tell us about reception of Chinese stations in
Australia.
But they are living mostly in southern parts of Australia, I think...

GOOD DX,

Karel Honzik
the Czech Republic (Czechia)
***********************************

> Bob,
>
> I'm no expert on China or Australia but I know a couple of things
> about mediumwave propagation.
>
> I would suggest that hearing China on MW in Oz as being pretty damned
> difficult and that maybe, just maybe this person -- who I assume is
> more of a 'normal' individual than a Beverege-bound MW DXer -- might
> be listening to a re-broadcast of CRI programming on a station in Oz.
>
> I'll even bet that the Chinese know better than to try and broadcast
> 'specifically for Australia' on mediumwave.
>
> Trying to reach Australia from China on MW is a lot like trying to
> reach Chile on MW from Belize!  Can't be done!
>
> bw
>
> ---
>
> At 9:20 PM +1000 10/25/01, Bob Padula wrote:
> >This news is sourced to the latest edition of the "Australian
> >Mediumwave News",
> >of the "Australian Mediumwave Club - MW Australia":
> >
> >CHINA. A reader of the Melbourne Age "Green Guide", recently asked
> >in that >paper
> >about the origin of China Radio International programming he was
> >hearing on >1341
> >kHz. It may not be commonly known, but CRI actually has English
broadcasts
> >specifically for Australia on mediumwave, which are scheduled:
> >
> >1200-1300 on 1188 and 1341
> >1300-1400 on 1341
> >
> >Transmitter locations are:
> >
> >1188 Yunnan Province 300 kW
> >1341 Gwangdong Province 300 kW
> >
> >1188 is being used on an experimental basis
> >
> >Australian allocations for those frequencies are:
> >
> >1188 2NZ Inverell
> >      6XM Exmouth
> >
> >1341 3BM Geelong
> >      2HH Newcastle
> >
> >Best regards!
> >
> >The Australian Mediumwave Club - MW Australia
> >Melbourne, Australia
> >http://welcome.to/mwaus

Copyright (c) Hard-Core-DX.com

Paul Ormandy Host of The South Pacific DX Report http://radiodx.com