Re: [HCDX] Why I am an SWLer (and, why are you?)

Re: [HCDX] Why I am an SWLer (and, why are you?)

My first shot at shortwave was a Science Fair Globe Patrol Kit (Radio Shack)
that my Dad got for me and helped me put together about 1972 I think. What
led up to getting that radio was a camping trip. We always camp way up in
the Sierra mountains in CA. I was piddling around with an AM radio one
evenig and noticed a radio station from Canada and ask my dad how could that
be. Well he explained skip and SW etc.. Next thing I know he brings home the
Globe Patrol kit and the rest is history. My dad was always into electronics
but I never paid any mind to it till I heard that TX from Canada as a boy.
My intrest is and always was elusive DX and strang signals i.e. Pirates, #s
TX, DX hams. I like finding those hole in the wall contries with the 1-10k
TXs. I like using vintage gear to do it also. I sometimes wish I could have
been a radio operator durring WWII. That must have been the stuff trying to
copy the Axis durring that time. But I like the news and shows around the
world too. World band has a way of making you wiser if you really take time
to listen. I think if everyone listend it would help cure a lot of cultural
ignorance. Oh! and as to your ? about why some people like tropical DX. One
of the reasons is its tough biz. A lot of skill and a good setup is required
to successfully DX that area of the spectrum. Alot of natural interferance
is associated with that work and alot of the stations are low power.

73s Brian Hill

Brian's Radio Universe
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.