[HCDX] MW propagation in Italy (re: XEBAL)

[HCDX] MW propagation in Italy (re: XEBAL)

At 14:02 +0200 8-04-2002, Karel Honzik wrote:

Also here in the middle of Europe the reception limits in our minds have been shifted
during last decade or so. In the past, I think, nobody would expect to hear Mexico,
Bolivia or Perú on MW in this part of Europe. I myself heard 3 Mexico City stations
for the first time in NOV 16, 1997. For me I discovered pre-Sunrise conditions that
brought signals from the west coast of SA. At the same time I heard (several times)
low power transmitters from Colombia and Venezuela.

Very interesting notes, Karel. What you say about shifting conditions is true. LA West coast below di equator is very rare in Italy and seems to follow long time cycle patterns. I can for instance recall the first and only log from Ecuador (Democracia 1290) in 1988, in a location non that close to the sea (the Po river valley, screened by mountains to the West and South) by Giuseppe Zella, perhaps the most skilled DX-er here. Curiously stations from below the equator tend to bypass your local sunrise factor, here, especially for spring equinox and winter conditions. On the sea in Deiva, Sestri Levante and Camogli, rarest stations from Brasil or Uruguay did rather come up during their dusk/sunset (Voz do Oeste or Radio Maldonado both on 1560). Peru on 1390 seemed seemed to be favoured by a complete darkness path the other week in Deiva (Cpn on 1470 was closer to its sunset time, though); While it's true that Colombia in autumn and winter usually fades in late in the night, closer to our sunrise slot. That's almost invariably true for NA stations, even in late summer nights, while Canada and northern East Coast could pierce through right after their sunset (that was several years ago, now side channel QRM tends to prevent that).

When one is so much fanatical that he sits at his receiver every morning before
Sunrise, I am sure he is going to - sooner or later - be prized by fantastic
experience.

I wouldn't call him or her "fanatical", wish I had time and opportunities to be one! That's just the point, as Rocco stressed in our reply to Jan-Erik. We're really just a few, scatterd individuals, with no organized and coordinated dx-pedition activities going on. Many of us live in crowded urban areas, where not that many neighborhood are noise-free enough (I think this holds true for Czeck Republic too). In this conditions no regular monitoring of what could really be heard is possible. I still remember our initial feeling, back in the mid Eighties, when we discovered the effect of wires strung on the seashores in Liguria, with carriers and modulation from Brasil or Venezual coming as early as 20.30 Utc in the winter. Nothing to compare with purely nordic conditions of course, but one of our colleagues' advantages is their regularity, especially with "institutions" like Lemmejoki.

Cheers,
Andy
--

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 is out!
You can get yours for $17.47 + shipping + possible tax in some states.