[HCDX] Radio Melodia, Arequipa 5940

Hi, situation report at 23hundred hours, April 16, 2002.

The station on 5940 is Radio Arequipa,  I think it would be known by now. First time heard here was on Apr 10, at 0115 and onwards , with a  soccer match and very poor reception, so no id. I sent out a "Please help !"  - message  to HCDX just about the same time, and later after that had been posted and distributed on the HCDX-list, I received very kind help from fellow  DX-ers in Sweden (Henrik Klemetz) and Bolivia, (Rogildo) suggesting and saying what it was.

Unfortunately I was not at all up to date with what soccer cups that were on in South America, but those who
sent me mails were.Copa Libertadores de América. I snail-mailed  45 minutes of recording of the match to Henrik Klemetz, Sweden, and he had the  tenacity to listen to it and heard what cup, match and station it was. A tinutus warning had been enclosed. Thanks HK !

I know  I  have sent , and I have seen credits to these two fellow- DX-ers in the HCDX-list.

Later, Björn Malm, Quito, and Rafael Rodriguez, Colombia  sent me mails  with about  the same content.
All four of you have hopefully seen my direct mails to you. If not give your server a kick in ....

So the first one to id  5940 Radio Melodia, here in Europe,this time, was actually Henrik Klemetz, as far as I
know,  who listed to the tape I sent him. [Sorry Henrik for letting you do all  that hard work, but  I was not in the mood to do it myself !]

Now this is the latest from this place about Radio Melodia, Arequipa.

5940.06 14 April 0015 Radio Melodia, Arequipa, Peru. Weak signal getting  better, with Peruvian folklore, non stop, then at  0030 shifting to phone px,  male DJ live and time checks and  a lovely id "...con 45 minutos en Radio Melodia, en compañía,.. en romería (?).. la mayor en sintonía. Vamos a..   " Just QSA 1-2, splashes from 5935 and 5945.  (This kind of DX-ing borders on self-flagellation, I think.)

A small kind of antenna shifting must be considered. I have a random longwire,  abt. 150 feet, and a K9AY. The K9AY is a superb addition, with its amplifier, to the AR7030,  but there are many instances when it is doing too good, on SW, let's  say 49 mb, like 5940 Radio Melodia. The signal is indeed stronger,  with the K9AY, but adjacent European superpowers will get even more so. So then the ol'  faithful longwire will  do the work better. But of course these things are well-known facts to most DX-ers.

So,  we have had the Venezuelan farce to listen to, it began good but ...  - Ecos del Torbes had a long px  of Hawaiian solemn sad tunes on the player last night. I felt that that  echoed the feelings at the station. I have a data virus to cope with - a new solid state-of-the-art  virus killer px on a CD to install will arrive tomorrow, I hope.  Meanwhile, I play it pianissimo with anything to do with the web.  Very short entries. Then out.

73 Johan Berglund, Trollhättan, Sweden  AOR7030, K9AY, LW