[HCDX] Religious Broadcasting in Australia, NZ et al

[HCDX] Religious Broadcasting in Australia, NZ et al

UCB is non-denominational, so I understand individual Roman Catholics can become members, stand for office, vote and be involved in its activities. No different from members of other Christian denominations..

In NZ, there are few restrictions on broadcasting. The Roman Catholic Church is free to bid for frequencies, or lease them from current owners, can set up one station or networks of them, operate low power FM stations nationwide without even bidding for frequencies, and relay Vatican Radio 24 hours a day if it chooses.

Individual churches have successfully bid for and obtained AM and FM licences in New Zealand.

In Australia, I think CRU will find the Roman Catholic Church is able to establish a similar low powered FM network to that of Vision FM, and apply for AM licences in the extended AM band like any other narrowcast broadcaster.

New FM licences are auctioned, so the Roman Catholic Church can always put a funding and program package together and lodge a bid like anyone else.

For community licences (AM or FM), the Roman Catholic Church simply has to prove its case on a market by market basis on an equal footing with other applicants.

They can also freely produce and supply programs for which they buy airtime on commercial and community stations. Our local community radio and TV stations in Wellington carriy such paid programs from the Roman Catholic Church.

It seems that the Roman Catholic Church has a wide range of options for local  broadcasting in Australia and NZ and has equal access to frequencies and licence hearings.

David Ricquish
Talkback
NZDXTimes / www.radiodx.com