[HCDX] Re: conditions 2002

>I am exploring the difference between solar data (the "Numbers") and the
real
>world (as subjective as that is).  With that aim, I would like to ask you
a few
>questions:
>
>1)  Do you think we've had unusually GOOD conditions this fall on HF?
>
>2)  Do you think we've had dismal conditions on MW and LW?
>
>3)  How do you rate conditions on MW, low HF, high HF, and VHF since the
summer
>season until now?
>
>Thanks,
>73 de Tomas, NW7US // AAR0JA
>--
>: Propagation Editor, CQ/PopComm Magazines - Member, USArmy MARS :
>: http://prop.hfradio.org  :  Brinnon, Washington 122.93W 47.67N :
>: A creator of solutions  :  http://accessnow.com  : Perl Rules! :
>: 10x56526 - FISTS 7055 - FISTS NW 57 - http://hfradio.org/barsc :
>: A.R.Lighthouse Society 144 -- CW, SSB, RTTY, AMTOR, DX-Hunting :

Remarks on HF frequencies:

Possibly yes. Since summer I have logged 145 countries on SW.
I can't say whether it is thanks to HF conditions or just high listening
activity. Probably both.

Remarks on conditions on MW frequencies:

* During the whole autumn there have been one (1) week when
North American AM stations have been audible in Southern
Finland, the peak was at Sept 25. This is a miserable "achievement".
Don't look at Lemmenjoki logs, it is a different matter. Here I talk
about what I hear in Southern Finland with antennas about 400
metres long.
* The most usual AM station from Western Hemisphere has been
1620 WDHP Fredriksted, American Virgin Islands. It seems to come
through even during poor/no conditions - and that's practically
all the conditions there have been.
* After browsing all the loggings by dozens of active Finnish AM
DXers, I notice only one (1) logging of American West Coast;
1510 KGA Spokane, heard 24/25 Sept. A record. History in
making. Normally there would be 5-10 of them heard at least
in December, beginning with all the strongest vancouverians
and seattleans.
* To the eastwards the situation is slightly better. Some Japanese
have been caught, but it looks like right at the moment when the
real conditions might begin, then magnetosphere becomes
disturbed again.
* About the advantages: strange disturbations in magnetosphere
have provided some excellent north-south path signals. For
example 1584 Radiolé, Ceuta, has become the dominant of
the frequency, beating easily the other, more northern located
Spaniards on the same frequency. (Or should we talk about
freakyncy, these days?)
* BUT, despite of strong south-north path, the conditions have
never really reached Africa on MW either! The path is strong down
to Ceuta, and there it ends. 1502 Emissora Provincial do Benguela
has been logged in summer, but not after that. The last time when
1386 Radio Rurale, Labé, was heard was in September. Last
year in december 1386 KBC Maralal was heard easily when it
signed on at 0200 UTC. This month - not a trace.
* Decreasing Solar Flux plays no role - at least it doesn't help
a bit - as the earth magnetosphere is very restless. A index needs
at least a week long calm period before we can talk about real
conditions on MW, and there have not been such a long period
at all during this year, except perhaps on week of Sept 25.
* One would think this must mean good conditions in SW. Well,
not quite. Every year during Independence Day (Dec 6) here in
Finland, I have fun while listening to Papua New Guinea stations
on 90 meters. This year was again history in making. Instead of
usual 3-5 audible Papuans, I logged 0 on 90 metres. The only one
heard was Port Moresby 4890, which should be as usual as
Voice Of Russia. Miserable.
* As one veteran did put it: Wonder if there will be conditions
anymore this year. Perhaps there have been some humble attempts
but now the conditions behave in such an unpredictable way that it
makes it impossible to take advantage of them, if there were any in
the first place.
* The benefit: 15476 RN Arcangel San Gabriel from Antarctica and
15820L Argentinian feeder have been heard often and with an
excellent signal. The problem is that in that part of world there is
a rather small number of broadcasters operating on 15 MHz and
higher...

MW: poor
low HF: poor
high HF: fair
VHF: no comment (FM listeners use to say every year that this
was the worst FM year ever)

Jari Lehtinen
Lahti, Finland

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom