RE: [HCDX] Emerging Techniques in High-Tech DX

RE: [HCDX] Emerging Techniques in High-Tech DX

Don:

I found the High-Tech DXing article very interesting and helpful.
I have used my business notebook computer (Toshiba 3490CT Portege')
on occasion for DXing purposes (will now use even more), but am curious as to
how tape recording from the receiver into your computer is accomplished. Are you
simply using the computer microphone (or external mike) or is there a way where
the tape output from the receiver can connect to the computer in the same manner as
one has done previously using the tape recorder input jack? I do not see any input jacks
on the notebook, other than for an external microphone, and which cannot handle the direct
signal. I suppose that a transformer or some sort of signal reducing intermediate plug could
work, but have tried these before in other applications and have found that the audio quality
suffers significantly.

I have an AOR 7030+----can the RS232 port on the receiver, when connected
to the serial port on my notebook, also be used to pass audio directly to the computer using
the "Record" program you mention, even though the audio outputs, as I recall, are on the auxiliary
port?

	By the way, I have not detected any interference from the notebook on any
receiver---however, I do use shielded coax and bnc connectors for everything.

Thanks,

Jon L. Williams

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom