[HCDX] Radio at sea

In April my sister-in-law is crossing the Atlantic aboard a container-ship,
from the UK to Montreal.

She's taking a portable sw receiver, and I'll be arming her with schedules
and guides.

Does anyone know about, or have experience of, radio reception at sea? I
assume short wave and medium wave will be little different from listening on
land, and listening in the bowels of an iron ship might be similar to
listening in an apartment block built of iron girders, albeit on the move?

Will there be a point, mid-Atlantic, where European and American medium wave
signals are likely to be of similar strength, depending on day/night paths?

The whole idea of radio and DXing at sea is a new one to me and I am
intrigued as to what might be expected. I am also tempted to stowaway; a
week at sea with little to do but listen to the radio sounds as good as it
gets!

Chris

chris brand, hale, cheshire, england

chris brand's dx international: http://members.tripod.co.uk/chrisbrand1977