[HCDX] Logs

Bogdan Chiochiu
QTH: Pierrefonds, QC

AM: Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ internal ferrite bar antenna
SW: Sangean ATS 606A rx w/ long-wire antenna in the yard

640 GUADELOUPE,   Radio Guadeloupe, Pointe-à-Pitre  MAR 19 0337 - talk in accented french about the disavantages of the war in Iraq, then time-check and Radio Guadeloupe ID. Very strong and alone on channel ! (Chiochiu-QC)

1180 CUBA,   Radio Rebelde, Villa-Maria  MAR 19 0118 - Initially very strong, but mostly buried under WHAM later through the evening. (Chiochiu-QC)

4830 VENEZUELA,    Radio Tachira, San Cristobal  MAR 19 0156 - promo for a sports event that will take place "esto Domingo", one ad for something else too with cumbia music in the back-ground, then "... mil AM, Radio Tachira" ID around the top-of-the-hour. Poor-fair reception. It's nice to finally have a solid ID from this one ! (Chiochiu-QC)

6030 MOROCCO,   RFL, Briech  MAR 17 0407 - "Ascultati Europa Liberã" ID followed by talk about war in Iraq. Good signal (Chiochiu-QC)

9580 GABON, Africa Numéro Un, Libreville  MAR 20 2120 - with the px "Tendresse" with soft african mx and love letter messages from listeners read by the woman announcer. News from 2200 to 2230 (most items were about Africa; not the war in Iraq, suprisingly !) then the last part of the Tendresse pgm with more mx and less announcements (the first song played was one by Michael Jackson - the only american pop song I've ever heard on this station). Very strong ! They were very easily audible even with just the telescopic whip. (Chiochiu-QC)

Did listen to Africa Numéro Un while doing my homeworks this afternoon with interesting news about elections in Congo and mostly pleasant african music. After regularly getting llanera music on 4830 or promos for baseball games, finally rewarded with a nice ID from Radio Tachira the past evening; still I miss a lot the good old nights of 2000 and 2001 when I used to listen to Desde esta noche: recuerdos and Ecos Rumba on Ecos del Torbes. I wonder if they'll ever reactivate their 4980 tx. Radio Tachira never reached above the fair status every time I heard them, while Ecos del Torbes used to be frequently as strong as many major international broadcasters. I wonder if Ivan Escobar, the president of the Ecos del Torbes group plan to reactivate the station on shortwave.

After 10 PM on the MW band, Radio Guadeloupe was particularly strong. Aside from that the only other great MW reception from Latin America was Radio Rebelde on 1180 somehwat earlier.

That's it for now !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu