[HCDX] Loggings from Victoria, BC

Not a bad morning here in Victoria. Pouring rain, but mild temperatures. Nice to be sitting around a warm radio! Radio Nacional Angola is my catch of greatest interest this week, as well as the mystery Vlad Titarev station identified. Enjoy, and good DX!.......Walt.

KOREA (NORTH) 9334.95, 1516-, Voice of Korea Apr 12 Very strong reception in English, but so overmodulated that I thought it was in SSB. Difficult to discern the diatrabe! ID at 1518, then 'Dear Listeners', just like the bad old days of Radio Beijing and Radio Tirana. Parallels are 7505 and 11335.26 both poor, 11710.08 fair with adjacent splatter from KJES on 11715, as well as 11705. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

U.S.A 11715, 1526-, KJES Apr 12 Very strong reception with children's choir in Spanish with preacher speaking (?translating) in the background, also in Spanish. Beam according to HFCC A03 is 350, pretty much directly at me. ILG B02 has a beam of 150 degrees, which again would be the backside of the signal towards the Pacific NW. Full ID at 1530 in Spanish by a female child. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDIA 11585, 1532-, All India Radio Apr 12 Very strong signal with beautiful Indian music and talk in presumed Baluchi. Listed as Bangalore 500 kw. Parallel to weaker 9620 (Aligarh 125 kw). Again quite distinctive AIR audio...to me like the old fashioned type of microphones. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDIA 11740, 1537-, All India Radio Apr 12 English news over cochannel. Local Indian news at fair strength. Listed as Panaji 250 kw. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

? 11965, 1558-, VOA Apr 12 Looking for listed Radio Free Iraq. Instead heard the VOA sign-on and announced language as Bangla. Parallel to 7280 (Philippines?), but with satellite delay. Good. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

CHINA 12100, 1454-, Chinese CNR music jammer. Apr 13 Vlad Titarev's unid Tibetan station is heard here as well with a poor to fair signal with Tibetan (or Chinese) sounding music without ID. Heard no ID at TOH. Has this one been figured out? I wonder about a 2X harmonic of Lhasa Tibet PBS on 6050, though not a peep from them here. I checked for listed parallels but no luck. 1511: Strong parallel found! 11510. Another very strong at 11945. (SIO 5-5-5). Weak parallel 7470. 13625 under cochannel. 9680 same. Therefore, this HAS to be the CNR music jammer! These freq are all listed in my B02 ILG. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

ANGOLA 11955.65, 1538-, Radio Nacional Angola Apr 13 Fairly decent signal with Portuguese talk by man and woman. Loud het so use USB mode. Fair bit of splatter from presumed Turkey on 11955.0. Same light banter until TOH. Then time pips x 4, and into news. Could not make out any positive ID. Though one reporter finished his piece with 'Radio Nacional'. Much better reception possible after TOH since 11955 signs off, and so can use AM. A S7 to S9 signal. ID noted at 1605. African vocals when rechecked at 1610. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

CHINA 9765, 1547-, CRI Apr 13 Russian program with a historic play from the sounds of it. Good reception with many parallels: 11790, 9870 (both fair to good), and 5990, 5915 (both poor to fair). Rechecked at 1613. Very strong signals with news on 13655, and 11875. 11960, 9885 (fair), and 9765 good. End of news at 1615. Beautiful ID at 1615. Later announced mailbag program. Just happened to be listening at 1639, when they announced the following (in Russian): Beginning 16 April, between 18 and 20 UTC, CRI Russian will be relayed via Radio Baltic Waves on 1557. This might be interesting to DXers in Europe at least. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES DUBAI 13675, 1622-, UAE Radio Dubai Apr 13 Despite reports about a supposed frequency change to 13650, I'm still hearing UAE here with a strong signal, parallel to 15395. Oldies instrumentals. Into English news at 1630. Top headline was that there have been no weapons of mass destruction found as yet. Weather (hazy) at 1634. Into Arabic at 1634:30. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)