Re: [HCDX] New EWE antenna

My EWE report:

I found this to be a good time to make repairs on mine as well. My north EWE
had come down over winter, and water had gotten into the termination box,
rusting everything. Hope to have that one up soon.

My east/west EWE has been working well lately, allowing me to log 800khz XEV
Chihuahua in late May, and 1620khz WDHP US Virgin Islands early in June. I
usually change directions manually by swapping the coax and termination cables,
but hope to put in relays later this summer for instant E/W switching.

I use remote termination by using cheap photocells ( 75 cents each) and a
small 12volt automotive lightbulb mounted in a metal or plastic box. Controlling
the voltage from the shack via a twisted pair of wires provides great control
of the nulls, enabling me to swing it about 30 degrees each way off the back.
High angle signals such as WJR Detroit (400 miles east) are difficult to null
very well, but New York City and Toronto can easily be put into the noise
leaving the channel completely clear for western DX.

My north EWE is 15 ft high and 75 feet long and works great on longwave for
Canadian NDB's and transatlantic LW broadcasters. The E/W ewe is 20 ft high on
one end, 15 ft high on the other end, and approx 50 ft long.

My other antenna setup that is killer for DX is a 55 ft piece of hardline
hung in a pine tree phased against a 3 ft box loop. Gives great nulls and is very
sensitive to low angle skip signals such as Cuba and Mexico.

As an aside, I find that on shortwave, the EWE works like a short longwire,
favoring signals away from the fed end, rather than towards the fed end as on
MW and LW.

Good DX to all !

73,

John Wilke