Re: [HCDX] A question about the power of European tx'ers

Re: [HCDX] A question about the power of European tx'ers

Thanks to all of you who replied !

In Romania, the anti-Ceausescu messages were transmitted over SW, via RFL
(Radio Europa Liberã), not over MW, only on SW wich was jammed by the way (I
think the tx site of the RFL jammers were in Bod, in the same site that host
the 1200 kW LW tx'er on 153 kHz that is used nowadays by Radio România
Actualitãti). Radio Europa Liberã was the only foreign station broadcasting
to Romania and it was 100% anti-communist programming and all on SW. If they
had done this on MW, because of the lower frequency and a higher amount of
groundwave (and somewhat less skywave obviously) Ceasusescu would have put
local tx'er on the same channels as RFL and the listening would have become
impossible.

Another thing: I'm still stumped that despite some MW tx'ers are using way
over 1 megawatt, European DX'ers are getting more deep-South American DX
than those in North America (here a coastal location like Cappahayden, NF,
Yarmouth, NS or Cape Cod, MA or east-coast Florida is required to get deep
into South America on MW). For exemple there are several powerfull
transmitters on 1575, but Radio Familia de Maule from CHile still can be
heard on 1570 (at least in Scandinavia).

I know that all the Beverages antenna used in Lapland help, but a DX'er
using a Beverage antenna in the midwest have problems picking up Central
Americans. Might this be because European stations are very directionnal or
what ? I have heard from someone that was only a few hundreds of kilometers
from Finland-963 that reception of this station was very poor and they might
be highly directionnal.

I also wonder (even with those phasers, the power is enormous at 1.3 MW) how
can you log TAs like CKEC when Norway is next door on 1314.

As for those wondering about the concrete issue... well, in Romania over 90%
of the houses have a reinforced concrete structure, because each few years
there are big earthquakes there, so that was the reason, in my opinion, why
most Romanian stations use over 100 kW, like Craiova 558 use 600 kW and when
I lived in an appartment at the 4th floor on a concrete-steel frame
building, using just a very unsensitive Emerson AM/FM walk-man wich had poor
audio on AM to makes things worse (I was in Bucharest, about 200 kilometers
away from Craiova; the same distance as Ottawa from here in Mtl.), but the
reception was fair and very listenable at high noon in August via pure
groundwave.

When I was the last summer in a hospital, I could barely detect (without
understanding nothing) WVMT out of Burlington, VT (on 620) using the same
weak Emerson AM/FM walkman and the window where I was faced directly to the
south. They also use 5 kW directionnal north-south as to avoid QRM'ing WZON
east of them, in Maine. + Burlington is about 125 kilometers from Mtl. while
Craiova was 1.75 times further. But still no way I could hear them, because
of the concrete structure; but in Bucharest, Radio Craiova could still be
heard on 558 with a very listenable signal and only the ceilings strucutre
was in mettalic concrete, but even the walls were in concrete in that
appartment.

I would like to hear your comments on this concrete-super-powerfull Euro
tx'ers issue as well as the SW versus MW propaganda thing.

Well, a very good evening to all of you (it's late in the evening in Europe
right now !).

73 and good DX,
Bogdan