Re: [mwdx] Re: [HCDX] A question about the power of European tx'ers

Re: [mwdx] Re: [HCDX] A question about the power of European tx'ers

The reason for different audio sound is that radio stations in
North America use heavy audio compression.  In Europe that is
restricted by ITU because it generates splash that may cause
interference to nearby radio stations within large frequency
range (+- 30 or even 40 kHz from stn original frequency).
You can find this phenomenon on FM, too, but is most clearly
heard on AM.
Because of heavy audio compression (30 dB or even more) the
sound of a radio station sounds louder.  Commercial radio
stations do this as they believe listeners favour and find
easier radio stations with loud audio signal.  By doing this
they try to compensate low power.
You can hear the difference if you listen locally to a 1 kW
North American stn and compare it locally with same antenna
with a 100 kW European stn.
The S-meter in the case of a North American stn may show
weaker signal than the 100 kW European but the audio
sounds louder.
Fortunately it is so!  The result could be terrific with splash
around the MW-band here in Europe if 100-1000 kW stn's use the same
audio compression as in North America.
By limiting compression ITU tries to limit the disadvantages
of European megawatt transmitters.
The audio of European low compression radio stations
is more realistic.  Compression actually is unnatural as
it decreases the dynamic range of sound.  This is important
especially if you listen to classical music.  But this is not
often broadcast on AM, thus AM-stations use more and more
compression around the world.
For dx'ers compression is good.  You can hear clear
audio despite weak slong-distance signal.  In case of low
compression you need stronger signal to understand what
you hear.

Jorma Mantyla
Kangasala, Finland