[HCDX] Summer DX

Me and my wife spent two magnificent weeks in the southernmost municipality of the province of North Karelia, Kesalahti. It was crystal clear Lake Pyhajarvi, part of it belonging to Russia, former Finnish territory. We enjoyed a lot of peace of nature. Laker water was 14-16 degrees, air temperature 10-20 degrees, sauna every evening 100 degrees! Noise level was very low, so I I did some DX-ing usually from mid-night to the three o´clock. Here´s some of my best loggings:

-DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: R Okapi, Kinshasa on 6030 kHz 2215-2315 UTC playing mostly Congolese music without breaks. Only one short "Okapi"-ID. Some splashes from R Budapest on 6025 kHz.

-REPUBLIC OF GUINEA: R Rurale on 1386 kHz 2140 UTC with talk programme in local language. One brief Radio Rurale-ID. Good reception June 17. Heard only once.

-MOZAMBIQUE: This station is really tentative. I heard  Portuguese speaking station equally strong with Bulgaria around 22 UTC on 1224 kHz. Bulgaria went off the air 2201 UTC. This station closed down three minutes later 2204 UTC with national anthem (It was sung by chorus). I suppose it could be RADIO MOCAMBIQUE, Pemba. Heard it a couple of times, best June 23.

-TANZANIA: R Free Africa, Mwanza on 1377 kHz 2210 kHz came several times with stronger reception than France Info. Local music and phone-in-programmes. Best MW-reception from black Africa.

Due to very short and light summer nights in Finland, centraleuropean MW-powerhouses are pretty week. That´s why we can hear really interesting stations from Africa on MW. My antenna was only 30 meter longwire!

73´s
Jouko Huuskonen
Turku/Kesalahti FINLAND