  From: Henrik Klemetz
  To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 2:30 AM
  Subject: Re: [HCDX] RFPI Eviction

  RFPI (I quote) has trained over 300 peace journalist
  who now work all over
  the world, RFPI (I quote) runs courses in Peace
  Journalism and Progressive
  Media through Radio, RFPI (I quote) specializes in the
  monitoring and
  documenting of hate radio and the use of media by
  extremist groups.

  Let's take a closer look at the last statement. From
  their UN programming one would think that the RFPI
  outlook was global in scope, but actual listening
  shows that the focus is limited to the USA.

  Here is RFPI's list of study targets.

  PRIVATE U.S. SHORTWAVE BROADCAST STATIONS
  Call letters Location Designator Special Notes
  WSHB SC R/MN Owned by Christian Science Monitor
  WCSN ME R Sold by C.S.M. to another religious group

  KGEI CA R
  KJES NM R Cultish sounding program
  KTBN UT R Part of Trinity Broadcasting network
  KNLS AK R
  KWHR HI R Sister station to WHRI
  WHRI IN R/RFR Has 100,000 watt capacity
  KCBI TX R/RFR Rumored Dr. Gene Scott silent partner

  WEWN AL R Four 500,000 transmitters
  WINB PA R/RFR Pastor Pete Peters considering buying

  WJCR KY R Small church station 50,000 watts
  WMLK PA R Owned by Assemblies of Yahweh
  WRMI FL P/PFR Anti-Castro broadcaster
  WRNO LA P/R/PFR/RFR One 50,000 watt transmitter
  WWCR TN P/R/PFR/RFR Three 100,000 watt transmitters

  WYFR FL R

  Per the RFPI website, these are stations susceptible
  of airing "far right" radio, a.k.a. "hate radio".

  So who is then trying to be mean to such a
  'progressive' entity as RFPI?
  Well, perhaps the Colombian paramilitary groups, or...
  eh, on second thought perhaps it's not them after all:

  "There have been recent concerns that the violence of
  Colombia's civil
  war may be spilling over into Costa Rica, including
  the possibility of
  paramilitary groups from Colombia operating
  in-country. While details
  remain very sketchy, it doesn't seem they are involved
  in the RFPI
  siege; the initial report cites 'guards from the
  University of Peace,'
  where RFPI has its studios."
  (http://www.diymedia.net/archive/0703.htm#072303)

  I have tuned in to their unauthorized frequencies on
  many occasions, listening to their homebrew Far Right
  Radio Review, and I have listened to some of their
  Spanish language programs (including those on female
  emancipation), none of which I deemed worth the while.

  An exception to their dull programming is WOR (World
  of Radio), but this program has been and is still
  aired elsewhere, including stations considered by RFPI
  as outlets of "hate radio".

  RFPI has been operating thanks to a presidential
  decree, but their frequencies were considered illegal
  by the frequency board of Costa Rica already from the
  very beginning. This I learnt on a visit to the
  country in 1987.

  Their eviction is long overdue.

  Henrik Klemetz

  Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
  Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html