[HCDX] Re: Antipodal Focusing

I don`t think I`m being too much of a stickler to point out that the antipodes of Plant City out in the Indian Ocean west of Australia, at about 28 S, 98 E, is more than 3000 miles, 5 megameters, from Udorn, Thailand. This is ``NEAR``??

Grayline enhancement is a far more likely explanation, and this happens over paths much shorter than antipodal.

I can`t speak to 160m contact experience, but I`ll bet the signals from W & C Australia are coming from close to the true azimuth, and not from random or any/multiple azimuths as would be the case with true antipodal focusing. Have you checked this with your 160m beam?

I`m with Walt about antipodal focusing being from a tight area. During his period of activity from Hawaii, Richard E. Wood also made much of antipodal reception from Zambia.

As for programs about propagation prediction, I think experience and understanding the basic principles are more useful.

73, Glenn Hauser

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963