Re: [HCDX] Re: Antipodal Focusing

At 05:49 PM 9/5/2003 -0400, Thomas Giella KN4LF wrote:
I said at or NEAR the antipode. For instance the antipode from Plant City,
FL, USA is well off of the west coast of Australia in the Indian Ocean but I
regularly work into central and western Australia, on 160 meters phone with
100 watts because it's NEAR the antipode.

Thomas, have a look at this antipodal projection. Now perhaps western Australia on 160 m would propagate well, but from experience, dawn enhancement to that part of the world (Grayline propagation) does wonders from the west coast on medium wave to the tropical bands. (I speak from many sessions out at Grayland, WA and Sombrio Beach, BC). Take a look where Thailand is, though. This is no where near the antipode, and I would state again that this simply is not antipodal propagation. Again, Thailand provides excellent grayline opportunities at certain times of the year (we've heard VOA from Thailand on MW at very strong levels at Grayland, WA using Beverages. If it was antipodal propagation, all of the Beverages would be expected to perform equally well (ours are West, South-West, and North-West oriented), as at the time of monitoring, there is a darkness path in the directions of all of the Beverages. This is not the case. Typically, one Beverage always outperforms the others, and it's not always the one you might expect (probably due to ionospheric ducting/refraction).

http://jidanni.org/geo/antipodes/images/world.png

Another projection which I have found very useful and interesting is found here:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/maps/nadirs.jpg

Notice Hawaii is smack dab in Zambia, while New Zealand extends across Portugal and Spain. It looks like the antipode of Thailand is in fact off the west coast of South America. I've printed this map off and use it in my DX binder. Most of North America is not very useful when it comes to the antipode, lying in the Indian Ocean towards Antarctica.

.............Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, Canada.