[HCDX] WRTH 2004. New approach.

Greetings everyone,

> Last minute decision making, yes. But with the best of intentions.
>
> Of course, it would be nice if life were simpler than that. But we have to
> deal with reality :-(

Here is my attempt at dealing with this particular area of reality.

(I am relatively new to serious broadcast listening, and must admit that I
have never had WRTH myself, but I believe that my considerations on compiling
schedules from numerous sources may be of use.)

The life can potentially be as simple as this:

1. There should be a standardised information interchange format (a file
format) for a station to communicate its schedule to others. Basically, this
can be a formatted text file describing a schedule in a predefined way.

2. As soon as the station's schedule changes (be it in June or October), the
frequency manager of the station would update the station's schedule
interchange file and publish the up-to-date version (on the station's own web
site, or maybe in a centralised location, like the HFCC web site).

3. The rest is even simpler. There would be a dedicated software application
that would merge all these schedule interchange files as provided by
numerous stations, and would produce an all-encompassing seasonal schedule
(be it in the form of a database file, be it in the form of a PDF booklet
ready for printing).

4. This software application could run anywhere. It may be on the WRTH
editor's desktop. It may be on the desktop of a simple SW listener. *Everyone*
could compile a seasonal schedule using this approach. *Everyone* could have
an up-to-date seasonal schedule using the up-to-date schedule interchange
files provided by the stations.

Is it impossible to agree on a standardised schedule interchange file format?
Is it impossible to develop the compiling software application?

Best Regards,
Dmitry Nefedov, RA3001SWL
Developer of Radio Explorer
Web site: http://www.radioexplorer.com.ru
Email: dnefedov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.