Re: [HCDX] Re:WWW.FREETRANSLATION.COM

I find it interesting that we have stumbled on a topic that seems to bring
out a lot of "It will never work" people from the woodworks. Maybe it will,
maybe it won't, but unless someone comes up with a better plan, what is a
person going to do?

The www.freetranslation.com is certainly not the absolute translator of
"perfect grammer" when it comes to translating anything to anything. BUT, it
does give a resonable attempt at
translating something, providing you don't go overboard with phrases that
have many meanings. (Side note: I have talked to a lot of people who have
come to this country (USA) from other lands, and I always hear that US
English is one of the hardest languages in the world to understand due to
the many meanings of sound-alike words!). NOTE: I have used the
www.freetranslation.com for French and Spanish reports, and again whereas it
isn't perfect it does get the message across, and, YES, I have gotten
reports back from the stations I send the letters to.

We (HCDX) seem to be a rather multi-country based group so why then do we
not as a group come up with whatever basic 5 languages (English, French,
German, Spanish and whatever the fifth one may be) form letter that we can
all share with each other?
We have a discussion group, we have a web page. We ought to be able to come
up with something that will work.

How about it? Instead of criticising someones attempts to get a letter out,
let us do something
positive as a group about it.

Bob Combs
New Mexico, USA

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.