[HCDX] Unidentified 4750

UNIDENTIFIED  4750, 1540-1600*, Feb. 28. Perhaps this is RRI Makassar,
surprisingly on-frequency rather than their 4753v frequency of many years;
however, programming was unlike any I've heard on an RRI station before.
>From 1540 to 1556 there was nearly continuous "electronica" dance music,
with a voice-over announcer in possible Indonesian language. Modulation was
only fair, and with the constant music it was tough to ID the lang. for
certain as Indonesian; it's possible I was hearing Tagalog or similar. As
1600 approached, I was expecting to hear "RRI Makassar" and possibly the
Love Ambon sign-off tune or a scrap of the Song of the Coconut Islands.
However, the announcer just continued with rapid-fire talk over the pounding
music. At 1600 the music changed to what sounded like a promo or musical ID
with a female vocalist singing possible call letters or station name, and
then off at 1600*. This fits with Makassar's typical sign-off time, but the
nontraditional programming and lack of typical RRI sign-off routine has me
wondering. Chuck Bolland in DXLD #4-036 reported 4749.96 at 1100-1110 as a
"probable" Makassar log, but no ID heard. Perhaps Makassar has changed their
late-night programming for a younger audience appeal in addition to
abandoning RRI network formalities such as SCI, Love Ambon, Jakarta news
relay, etc. (ATKINS-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Modified ICOM R-75 / Racal RA6790GM
Kiwa MAP / ERGO / 450-ft. Western Beverage Ant.

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.