[HCDX] Re: Sudan - Radio Peace and SIRS

Oops, the MVN link in my message was a mess.
Although already appeared in HCDX and DXLD,
here's the text of Nov 2003:
---
After 14 months of planning and four trips to Southern Sudan by EMC
President and Manager Pete Stover, "Radio Peace," a regional shortwave
station, is now covering the southern third of the country with Christian
programming four hours per day in six languages. Our Kenyan technician
Livingstone Kiniaru did a wonderful job climbing 40 foot creosote telephone
poles to hang the 200 foot horizontal antenna. God provided every tool,
including improvised ones, to do the job. We trained two local Sudanese
operators during our 10-day stay to operate and maintain the 6kva
generators, operate the 1kw transmitter, and the audio equipment for playing
back programming CDs. Mike Taylor (EMC board member) and Jerry Logan (EMC
board member) contributed hard work and valuable "workarounds." We were all
healthy the entire 10 days on-site as we camped in the bush amidst heavy day
and night winds and high temperatures near 100 degrees. One gratifying
moment occured after we left. We were able to monitor the station 500 miles
away in Nairobi. It was a weak signal with fading and noise, but we didn't
expect to hear it at all since the range of the transmitter and antenna was
purposely limited to 350 miles. It meant that the local operators we trained
did their job without us and that the signal was likely penetrating hundreds
of miles into the focus area with a clear and usable signal as planned. Next
phase: acquiring 10-thousand radios to needy potential listeners in the next
3-6 months and moving the shipping container studio so that local/regional
programming can be produced and presented. Pray for the programming
broadcast by "Radio Peace" to bring hope to the persecuted Christians and
the truth of the gospel to the persecutors.

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.