[HCDX] Corrections to Grayland, WA loggings 9 to 11 July

My apologies for several mistakes and to those who caught them. Running with little sleep night after night causes me to occasionally miss the proper keys. I've reviewed them and here are the correct logging information, as well as a comment or two:

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4960, 1150-, Catholic Radio Network (CRN) Jul 9 Surprising, but an ad for outboard motors and another for a car (only 72,500 K). 'Number one distributor'. 'For your small business'. 'Telephone or fax us'. This is the first time I've heard anything but local religious or Vatican Radio programming. Into local sounding choral hymn at 11:56 until 12:02:30. Then talk in Pidgin. 'United Nations Development Program'. 'Leadership Development Program' Good reception apart from static crashes. Still going strong at 12:52 with ID as EWPN, at least that's what it sounded like. American accented DJ, and then Amazing Grace. Prayer in English at 1300. Then Pidgin announcements from 1301, and an ad for PNG Motors used cars. Numerous phone numbers given as well. Far fewer IDs now compared to the first week of programming! Still no luck past 1330. Finally, usual ID at 13:33:30 as 'This is the Catholic Radio Network of Papua New Guinea' (the same one heard several times an hour in June). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

For your interest, 72,500 Kina works out to $USD 23,325. A fair chunk of change for a very poor country!

VANUATU 7260.137, 09:45-, Radio Vanuatu Jul 10 Not quite armchair copy, but close with Latin music (Carlos Santana). Note off frequency. I didn't notice this last night, though I had to do some surgery on my receiver to align the frequency standard. 0953 brief talk by OM in Bislama, and into a French vocal. ID at 09:55:30, again in Bislama, and then into another French vocal. Mostly about S6 to S7 signal. I believe there's French at 10:02. Definite Bislama at 10:04 recheck, with mentions of Vanuatu. 'Competition, National Radio of Vanuatu' at 10:12. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 891, 1226-, 5AN Adelaide Jul 10 ABC Football with the Kangaroo game. ABC Football ID at 1226. Post gave show. Talk of next gave in Adelaide. 5AN presumed. Cochannel with a weaker English speaker. End of program at 12:30, and directly into ABC National news re shark attack on a 29 year male in Perth, who died on the beach. Good signal. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

This sad news made it into the international news. I heard about it locally upon my return home.

RUSSIA 11840, 2007-, Radio Sakhalin Jul 10 Virtually a 5-5-5 signal with Russian news (Radio Rossii). Into weather 16 to 17 deg C and rain on Sakhalin. This station is not on very often, and is the first time in a long while for me. Radio Sakhalin ID (jingle ID!), and then good morning to Sakhalin, with further weather forecast, including the Kirile Is. Takes me back to the years when they used to have a blockbuster signal on 4485, I think. I used to hear that one during the day in the Pacific north-west! At 20:28 Sakhalin weather again (12 to 17 deg C), jingle ID for Radio Sakhalin, and into program, 'Armiyskiy Chas', or Army times. Continues a nice level. Off at 2100. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.