[HCDX] Sudan

Received this message on 13 July, 2004:

--------

Dear Mr. Savolainen,

I am writing from Sudan Radio Service in Nairobi, Kenya.  I was browsing the
DXing.info website and came across this discussion about Radio Peace and
some other radios in southern Sudan.  Your final posting was the following:

[In addition, I got some info from Southern Sudan, that there is a 50kW
transmitter (shortwave I think) under construction very near the Radio Peace
installation. My source describes it as "South Sudan Government" station.
I'm unable to contact him at the moment to get more detailed information. I
wonder if this will be the planned SIRS (Sudan Independent Radio Service) to
replace the Sudan Radio Service transmissions from various relay sites. See
http://www.dot-com-alliance.org/newsletter/sudan.html]

I wanted to help clear up any confusion.  Sudan Radio Service (SRS) is not
affiliated with Radio Peace or with the new Sudan People?s Liberation
Movement (the southern Sudan government, for all practical purposes) station
that is still under construction.  SRS had originally been titled Sudan
Independent Radio Service when the project was proposed, but we dropped the
word ?independent? to avoid any unintentional political connotations that
word might imply.  So SRS is here to stay and is not going to replace, or be
replaced by, another broadcast service.

SRS is an independent provider of news and information and promotes peace
and development in Sudan.  SRS is a project of Education Development Center,
an American non-profit NGO (non-governmental organization) with support from
USAID/OTI (the United States Agency for International Development / Office
of Transition Initiatives).  Our studios are in Nairobi, Kenya, but our
transmissions come from a site in the U.K.  For more information about us or
to hear our daily broadcasts, please visit our website, www.sudanradio.org.

Again, I wish to emphasize that we have no affiliation with any of the other
radio stations that are starting to crop up around southern Sudan.  I hope
you will pass this message on to your colleagues at DXing.info.  Thank you
very much.

Best regards,

Jeremy Groce, Radio Programming Advisor

Sudan Radio Service (SRS), a project of

Education Development Center (EDC), Inc.

POB 4392, 00100 GPO, Nairobi, Kenya

Mobile:  +254 (0) 721 433 755

E-mail:  jgroce@xxxxxxx or jgroce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:  +254 (020) 57 09 06

Fax:  +254 (020) 57 65 20
-------
-------

The latest news I got about this new SPLM station was in April. They had
received
a set of new transmitter tubes. The original plan was to transmit somewhere
in the
31 meterband region.

Jari Savolainen
Kuusankoski
Finland

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.