[HCDX] Grayland, WA loggings from last weekend

Sorry for the delay, but no time since my return last Sunday from Grayland, WA where I DX'd with Guy Atkins, Chuck Hutton, Bruce Portzer, Nick Hall-Patch, and John Bryant. We had the usual 3 Beverages oriented to the NW, W and SW. Fantastic MW conditions on one of the mornings, and I still had a bit of time for SW. Good DX:

RUSSIA 279, 0931-, Radio Rossii Oct 15 Presumed logging of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and R. Rossii in Russian at fair level. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

SOLOMON ISLANDS 5019.90, 1539-, SIBC Oct 15 Good reception at 0845 local time! with BBCWS news relay. Surprisingly strong for almost 1 1/2 hours after sunrise. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 3976, 1557-, RRI Pontianak Oct 15 Strong S7 to S9 signal with Koran recitation. Off without announcements at 1605. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

JAPAN 774, 1643-, JOUB NHK2 Oct 15 Sign off procedure. Over 2 hours past local sunrise, Nick Hall-Patch noted the call sign. I missed that but noted the slow Xylophone sign off tune until 1645. There's still an open carrier, but not sure if it's them or someone else. An incredible morning for China, Japan and Korea!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ALASKA 930, 1657-, KTKN Oct 15 Good clean S7 to S9 signal with mentions of Ketchikan and KTKN. Political ad for Jim Elkin. ABC news at TOH, but no local ID. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

FRANCE 17635, 1734-, Voice of Africa, Tripoli Libya Oct 15 English programming with thickly accented male discussing Libyan issues. Relatively easy to follow due to the speaker's care to enunciate each vowel. 'The leader of the revolution'....'Libyan people'. 'The British prime minister, Tony Blair has sent a message....about cooperation between the Jamahiriya and Britain'. At 17:43 concluded with 'this is the end of the news?. Thank you for listening.' Immediately into French. Fair at times. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

VANUATU 7260.13, 1038-, Radio Vanuatu Oct 16 Strong reception, so obviously back to their previous reception, measuring S9 + 10 to 20 with lovely south seas music in Bislama. A live concert from the sounds of things, with brief intro by a Male between selections. Should propagate much further afield! Spoiled by Radio Thailand coming on at 11:00. Still relatively strong, however and still going at 11:05. Into NA shortly after and then OC. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 1116, 1204-, 4BC Oct 16 Nice sudden fade up with Radio 1116 and 4BC ID after weather, and into a light variety show with bantering between a YL and OM. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 774, 1233-, 3L0 ABC Melbourne Oct 16 Interesting clash with normally dominant JOUB NHK2 from Akita. The Aussie is mostly dominating this morning with a call-in program. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 4604,86, 1306-, RRI Serui Oct 16 Excellent reception of network news in Bahasa Indonesia. Business news at 1306. USB spoiled by a ute. At 1309, the talking continued under music! I heard this several times after the TOH. Stopped a minute later. Mentions of Malaysia, 'bomba'. C & W music again over the YL at 13:13. When rechecked at 1316, no music again. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 2959.95, 1317-, RPDT Manggarai Oct 16 Powerful signal at times, but with deep fading as we approach local dawn. Some Western music, and a fair amount of dead air between selections. Brief talk. I did hear 'Makassar' earlier, but no IDs as yet. Guy Atkins and I tried for about 2 hours in July, never to hear an ID, but reception is much better today. Long monologues by the same OM, with brief musical interludes. At 1350, I noted the same Indonesian vocal on 4790 RRI Fak Fak, as here, but not in parallel. A coincidence, I assume, as there were different announcers afterwards. Another announcer came on after this...a woman with a very penetrating voice, with announcements. Very commonly heard in the South Pacific. Likely person to person messages, as they were repeated twice. Often at armchair level! Still going strong at 14:12! Many names heard like Anton, Katerina, Marta, etc. Mentioned Makassar and Bali at 14:13. I'm sure I heard 'Riverside' a few times too. Finally finished at 14:23, with EZL filler, and then a more lively piece at 14:23:45. More long monologue by the same YL announcer, and then into a C&W song at 14:32:30. Call in at 14:34 with mention of Manggarai. More static crashes noted as we approach dawn. Caller again mentioned Manggarai, and then back to the same C&W song. Another caller at 14:39 with immediate mention of Manggarai. Someone within the motel switched on a TV at 1442 spoiling the signal during fades. Big fade up at 14:50 barelling through the TVI. Again faded up at 14:58. Love Ambon at 1500 without any apparent announcements, and a big increase in noise, but carrier seems off by 1503. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 4790, 1338-, RRI Fak Fak Oct 16 Superb armchair level with EZL music. Very nice! Interesting how all Indo stations have that somewhat muffled audio. Very characteristic. Off sometime before 13:58 recheck. Will listen to the MD. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 4960, 1415-, Catholic Radio Network Oct 16 While monitoring 2960 Manggarei, I've been watching 4960 in the background, with a very nice strong signal. It's being recorded, so I'll have a review on my way home from Grayland tomorrow. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

KASHMIR 5102, 1417-, Voice of Freedom of Jammu and Kashmir Oct 16 Using my second receiver, I noted a decent signal on 5102.0, and assume the clandestine Jammu and Kashmir station. Only USB is useable, as there was a ute on LSB and CODAR as well spoiling the show. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

JAPAN 1575, 1537-, AFN Oct 16 Great clash between VOA Thailand (at 1000 kw) with news in special English and AFN Japan with 3 stations listed at 250, 600 and 1000 watts. The latter (presumed) had non-stop rock music, occasionally coming up to very decent levels. At 15:40 there was some talk, but not at a level that I could be certain of the contents. I thought that I had heard an AFN ID at 15:30. Will need to check the MD. At 15:42 there was definitely English noted under VOA. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

GUAM 801, 1510-, KTWG Oct 16 American religious programming at a very strong level before fading into near oblivion. KTWG now 24 hours (thanks to John Bryant for pointing out the change, and to Chuck Hutton for pointing out the station!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

JAPAN 1197, 1622-, JOWL, STV Sapporo Oct 16 Fair to good reception at 0922 local! with Japanese talk, in parallel to JOWF 1440. Great signal for 3 kw!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

KOREA 1134, 1624-, KBS 1 Social Education network Oct 16 Great reception // to 972 usually over JOQR Tokyo cochannel with Korean talk, non-stop. This is at 9:30 local, at least 2 hours after local sunrise!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

JAPAN 1386, 1640-, NHK 2 Oct 16 4 10kw stations to choose from with their sign-off procedures. Unfortunately, the initial speech portion was in the mud, then faded up nicely for the music box ending. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

CHINA 11900, 1701-, CRI Oct 16 Very powerful English news transmission re Vladimir Putin's visit to China. During fades, RCI's DRM broadcast can be clearly heard grinding in the background. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

MALI 11960, 1712-, Radio Mali Oct 16 Very strong reception with Arabic speaker, well over 2 cochannels (BBC in Albanian and CRI in Russian listed). I'm surprised how well this station has been received over the years about the same time (upto their sign-off at the TOH). Not commonly reported. Must take the cake for boring programming, however. Same male announcer droning on and on and on. Not a single musical break. Must be lecturing or something. He was cut-off in mid sentence and followed the canned sign-off announcement in French, which itself was yanked a few seconds after 1800. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PHILIPPINES 11720, 1731-, Radio Filipinas Oct 16 Crash start after open carrier and very short orchestral piece into Tagalog, without any ID that I could hear. Very good reception with parallels of 15190 and 17720 also heard weakly. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ICELAND 13865, 1756-, Iceland Radio Oct 16 Violin piece from 1755 tune-in until talk by YL over phone quality audio a few minutes later. All in Icelandic, of course. Fair to good at times. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ARMENIA 9960, 1805-, Voice of Armenia Oct 16 Fair reception of French programming, and into same old IS, and into German at 1806. Into presumed news. Many mentions of Armenia. English is scheduled at 18:25. Only able to use LSB, since USB is destroyed by utility. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

CANADA 570, 0355-, CBWH Whitehorse, Yukon Oct 17 Thanks to Bruce Portzer pointing out Whitehorse cochanelling with KVI Seattle with CBC network programming parallel to CBU 690 Vancouver. Unfortunately faded to nothing during the TOH news program. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

MARSHALL ISLANDS 1098, 0923-, V7AB Oct 17 Nice ID given by same YL announcer I've heard the past few mornings with a good fade up after an EZL south pacific selection. V7AB clearly heard and then immediately into another selection (same style but a religious hymn). Went past their sked close down of 1030. Heard to at least 1035. Gone shortly thereafter when rechecked. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

RUSSIA 576, 0933-, Mayak Oct 17 Nice signal with Russian programming, presumably RV668 from Petropavlosk. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

RUSSIA 648, 1034-, Voice of Russia Oct 17 Korean programming at strong level from presumed VOR with 1000kw RV445 Ussuriysk, Primorskiy krai (Russian Far East). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

MICRONESIA 1503, 1044-, V6AJ Voice of Kosrae Oct 17 Sudden fade up to good levels with islands music. Very enjoyable early Sunday listening. Weak Korean or Japanese cochannel just audible, but V6AJ dominates nicely. No luck on the other Micronesian on 1449 yet. Faded away by 10:50. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

RUSSIA 666, 1100-, Mayak Oct 17 Mayak IS at 10:59 from presumed Komsomolsk, Khabarovskiy, which is listed as silent (at least in 2001). Cochannel Japanese NHK1 Osaka JOBK. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

SOLOMON ISLANDS 1035, 1102-, SIBC Oct 17 Weakly audible with relay of BBCWS news in English in parallel to SW 5019.87. Impossible without checking the SW which was at very good level. Again audible in parallel at 11:25. 945 not heard. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ALASKA 355, 1125-, Bristol Bay, AK Oct 17 NDB with continuous weather forecast at fair level. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

THAILAND 1575, 1200-, VOA Oct 17 Strong reception with VOA news now program. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

FIJI 684, 1240-, Radio Fiji 1 Oct 17 Good reception, except for the splatter from adjacent channels, with south islands music. Almost armchair at 12:44. I could listen to this soothing music all day! None of the other Fiji 1 outlets audible. Female announcer at much lower modulation at 1245. Unfortunately faded right down at the TOH to prevent a positive ID. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3905, 1300-, Radio New Ireland Oct 17 Great reception from this old friend with typical western oldie EZL instrumental music following a male announcer in Tok Pisin. Good to very good reception. Again mention about National Service, Sunday night, and 3905 , meters, and 5 kw, studios....Radio New Ireland mentioned. Off the air shortly after without NA.and carrier off. Nice to hear them again. I'm sure he said 5 kw, as opposed to listed 10, but I'll have to confirm the MD recording to be sure. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 4750, 1356-, RRI Makassar Oct 17 Armchair copy of this powerful Indonesian. I should have a very good MD over the ToH. Call to prayer just before. Ramadan has started I believe. Mentions of kHz at 1506. Lovely ID for RRI Makassar at 1506:30. (see MD2-3). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDIA 4840, 1359-, AIR Mombai Oct 17 Good reception with talk in presumed Hindi. Some CW interference on USB. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)