[HCDX] Pacific Radio Heritage Newsletter No.7

[HCDX] Pacific Radio Heritage Newsletter No.7

----------------------------------
***Pacific Radio Heritage News***
----------------------------------
***November 2005** Issue No.7 ***
----------------------------------

1. Lots of news, so let's get started. Last issue we mentioned the
'forgotten fifty' Armed Forces Radio stations in China-Burma-India
and put out a call for more information about any of them. Thanks to
Patricia Dabbs of Georgia, you'll soon be able to see inside one of
these stations and learn more about all the programs and
personalities involved at VU2ZP Bangalore, India. You'll find a taste
of a treasure trove to come including some special photos shortly.
In: From David's Desk, coming soon.

2. Our series of Long Lost Australian Radio Stars encouraged Robin
Voigt to contact us. Her grandfather, Emil Voigt, was a gold
medallist at the 1908 Olympics, and founder of Sydney's 2KY. Robin
has already shared some photos and stories with us from the family
archives, so look out for these in the coming weeks. Emil later died
in Auckland, New Zealand, and Robin has more radio connections with
New Zealand in her contributions. A teaser on Emil and 2KY also. In:
>From David's Desk, coming soon.

3. Special thanks these past few weeks to two bookstores. John Field
of Terra Australis Books [Queensland]
[www.abebooks.com/home/terraaustralisbooks] and John Jensen of The
Basilisk Bookshop [Victoria] [www.BasiliskBookshop.com] have both
donated excellent Australian radio heritage publications to our
research library. You'll see some items from their gifts appearing
on-line over the coming weeks. Check out the 2KY advert from 1939!

4. Jim Hilliker's serial about Aimee Semple McPherson and her 1920's
Los Angeles radio station KFSG is proving popular! Parts 4 and 5 were
added during the past few weeks, and include the day Aimee went
missing from Santa Monica beach and turned up days later in the
desert, with a bizarre kidnapping story! It's good reading. On-line
now.

5. Bruce Portzer's Pacific Asian Log continues to serve up everything
you need to know about 4300 AM stations in the region, and has even
more updates and tweaks since last month, with the very latest
updates scheduled very shortly. The PAL Shortwave Guide structure is
almost ready now, and the volunteers from around the Pacific who are
working with Bruce on this should expect to hear more soon.

6. More information about KZRM Manila has arrived from Mary Howell
Cromer in Kentucky, including a photo of her Dad, Robert Breslin
Howell and enough old paper clippings from which we can put together
a nice story. Expect to see this on-line in due course.

7. Lots more stories are at the workbench, and with new photos and
images added, we'll have items about Tokyo Rose, Japanese broadcasts
from Asia during the Pacific War, Radio Shonan from Singapore,
Japanese Radio in Batavia [now Jakarta] and others ready shortly.
Keep an eye on the website.

8. Vintage and classic radio fans can look forward to some more items
over the next month or so, and amateur radio fans will enjoy a
special photo of the radio shack on Pitcairn Island in the early
1950's. In fact, we have some other interesting items about
broadcasting on Pitcairn also lined up.

9. The Art of Radio [c] Japan on-line exhibition moves off-line in
December. With assistance from the Japan Information & Cultural
Center in Wellington, New Zealand, over fifty Japanese radio art
designs go on display at their cultural gallery and will be available
for visitors to enjoy over the Christmas-New Year period. A
children's art competition to accompany the exhibition is in final
stages of preparation, and supporting displays at the main city
library are also planned. More details in the next newsletter, but
enjoy the on-line version today at www.radioheritage.net.

10 In preparation is The Art of Radio [c] Hawaii, for launch on-line
early in 2006. If you have any radio designs, logos, letterheads of
any Hawaiian radio station, from the 1920's to 2005, and would like
to see them included, simpy contact us today at
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx These can be AM or FM, silent stations or the
latest ratings toppers across the Aloha State.

11. The fourth in our series of Long Lost Australian Radio Stars will
feature personalities from 2GZ Orange, 4BU Bundaberg and 7HO Hobart.
Work will be underway on these shortly. In the meantime, enjoy the
latest series on-line now: 2HR Hunter River, 3CV Central Victoria and
4WK Warwick.

12. It looks like the old 3ZB transmitter building in Christchurch
[New Zealand] will have a bright future, now that a local radio
station is keen to move it's studios there and begin 24/7 broadcasts.
More on developments shortly. Whilst talking about old buildings,
visit www.rnzi.com, go to 'more audio' and 'Mailbox' and download the
new radio heritage documentary for October 24 'Radio Heritage
Buildings Tell Stories' and learn about an icon radio building near
Wellington that Radio New Zealand recently refurbished to its 1930's
glory.

13 Our webmaster [Harvey] injured himself at a sports event recently
and has to take things a little easier, so have patience if your
favorite story or image hasn't yet appeared by the time you look!
He's doing a masterful job bringing everything on-line as quickly as
possible. As well as all the items mentioned, he has still more for
you, including the new shortwave station in Afghanistan, Adrian
Peterson's latest monthly column [about KGEI San Francisco], and
testing of our new database which will allow you to enter your images
and data directly into our archive from anywhere in the world.

14. As the Holiday Season approaches, we've put together a special
edition of the newsletter with some gift ideas which help you, and
help us at the same time. Great prices on top books, with Australian
and New Zealand residents able to make huge savings on popular 2006
annuals. In: your 'inbox' soon!

15. Remember, all our media releases are available on-line to
download, along with an easy form to register your radio memorabilia
with us, and to remember us in your will. In: Get Involved, left-hand
menu options on every page.

We're a registered non-profit charitable organization. Your friendly
support helps preserve and protect the Pacific's radio heritage. We
have no financial support from any government, broadcaster or
commercial partners. Your donations today really do help us. We've
committed all our personal finances to allow us to work on this
fulltime in a race against time as heritage material is lost and
early broadcasters pass on. Help us share the stories of Pacific
radio, click on 'Donate' on any page at www.radioheritage.net.
Our mailing address is PO Box 14339, Wellington, New Zealand. Other
contact options are at www.radioheritage.net.

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom