Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:43 PM

> Subject: Transmission Reductions
>
> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 07:45:00 -0500
>
> From: George Moore, Director of IBB Engineering and Technical Services
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> Fiscal Year 2006 and 2007 budget constraints for the Broadcasting
> Board of

Governors require implementation of across the board efficiencies so
that
our overall broadcast mission can concentrate on its support of this
country's war on terrorism.  The nation's need to secure and bolster its
defenses against terrorism, the terrible damage and cost of recovery
caused
by hurricane Katrina, added to an already high U.S. Government budget
deficit, means that our broadcasting mission must become more focused.

> In realignment of funding for 06 and 07,  we have to reduce shortwave

transmissions throughout the network for most of our broadcast services.
Approximately 90,000 transmission hours will come off of the network.
These
reductions will provide greater flexibility within the network for
Engineering to realign its transmission assets to achieve maximum
effectiveness for its target areas.  Operational orders implementing
these
reductions will be sent to all stations in the next few days, effective
February 1st, that will provide further details of the individual
station
reductions.   In addition to these reductions, it is possible that
further
efficiencies will be necessary to meet the budgetary goals and
objectives
that have been established by the President.

> As you may "read" into this message, the next few years are going to

require the Agency to make very difficult decisions.

> I'm providing you with as much information on the budget situation
> as I

can at this time. You may use the information in this email to brief
your
staff, as they will be concerned when they see the reduced schedule.

> Very Best - George

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.