Re: [HCDX] The VOA is Dead

FWIW, American shortwave listeners should register their complaints
with the local House Reps and Senators. The withdrawal of the VOA
from shortwave is shortsighted. I suspect the Chinese have a better
grassroots handle on the value of SW in both developing and
developing countries--hence their expansion in broadcasts to both worlds.

When I was on vacation to Aus/NZ this past November, I could not find
VOA in English anywhere during the daytime. I could find CRI in
English on several channels in the 11, 13 and 15 mhz bands. I think
too many Western countries are too infatuated with the value of the
internet and local distribution nets to realize the value of SW. The
BBC really thinks I'm still awake most nights at midnight when the
local NPR station relays them? That my employer lets me use bandwidth
at my office to stream audio on company time during the day?

The combination of cutbacks and politicization of what is left from
the VOA is a very sad thing to witness.

Russell Lay
Nags Head, NC

At 09:19 PM 1/31/2006, John Figliozzi wrote:
>Circle February 1, 2006, on your calendars.  That's the day VOA
>ceases to be
>a significant global broadcaster on shortwave.  Note the last minute
>nature of this
>communication and the non-sequitors given as reasoning for this death
>blow.
>VOA dies so that radios Marti, Farda, Sawa and Al Hurra can live?
>Gimme a break.
>Norm Pattiz may be gone, but his sorry legacy lives on.
>
>John Figliozzi

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.