[HCDX] Pacific Radio Newsletter #12

Pacific Radio News #12
----------------------
June 2006
News from the non-profit radio history people of the Radio Heritage
Foundation at www.radioheritage.net 'sharing the stories of Pacific
radio'

In this issue:
--------------
Kiwi icon 'pirate' Radio Hauraki 40th Birthday
WIN with our 'pirate' Radio Hauraki Competition!
Australian content expands
US Armed Forces Radio New Guinea memories
New Zealand Low Power FM
PAL Shortwave Radio Guide
Australian Radio Historian hits the road
and much more

'pirate' Radio Hauraki Celebrates 40th Birthday
Kiwi icon since the 1960's, 'pirate' Radio Hauraki is holding a big
birthday bash in Auckland later this year, and here's the good news!
As the
official 'pirate' Radio Hauraki website, www.radioheritage.net will
bring you news of all the events, original radio jingles, adverts and
airchecks, exclusive photos from private collections of the '1480
Good Guys',
official 'pirate' radio merchandise, competitions, and, of course,
we're throwing open the doors to the '1480 Club' so you can register
and
catch up with old friends from the 1960's and enjoy the top Kiwi
music of the
era. Watch for the specially designed 'pirate' Radio Hauraki pages,
coming soon to www.radioheritage.net.

WIN 'Shoesting Pirates' by Adrian Blackburn
We've got one copy of the original pirate radio book to give away.
Just answer this question - what was the title of the first song
played on the 'pirate' Radio Hauraki 'born' back in 1966?
 Hint....it's got two words and the second is 'free' and it was sung
by Matt Monroe as the title song for a movie of the same name about a
lioness!
 Just send an email headed 'pirate' Radio Hauraki with your name and
mailing address and the correct answer to: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
before July 31 2006. Competition open worldwide. One entry per person
please.
 Tell your friends and watch for more 'pirate' Radio Hauraki
competitions at www.radioheritage.net.

Australian Content Expands
--------------------------
Thanks to financial assistance from the Australian Government, we're
able to expand our Australian radio history content at
www.radioheritage.net.

Amongst the latest material, you'll enjoy 'Koalas, Kangaroos & Kiwis'
- The Australian Radio Listener Clubs. A social phenomenon of their
times,
some grew as big as 65,000 members, and another raised over $1m for
charity in just over 30 years. The Chatterbox Corner Chums from 3AW
Melbourne could probably still get airtime at today's talk radio 3AW!
You'll find over 100 clubs listed, plus photos of some of those nice
Radio Aunties and Uncles.....

Meg McSpeerin led the 2CH Women's League for over 30 years, and
you'll find the story of this remarkable woman and her 38,000 strong
club at www.radioheritage.net along with Trocadero Club Christmas
Party
photos and more.......

Early radio serials still have their fans, and Grace Gibson
Productions churned out thousands of hours of such popular programs
as 'Dr Paul', 'Dragnet' and 'Nightbeat'. Grace was a young American
girl who moved to Australia, and you'll read about the opening of her
big new studios in 1952 at www.radioheritage.net, see the stars and
learn how those serials were made and marketed. She never lost a
penny on a single show either......

Coming soon, more in our popular series of Long Lost Australian Radio
Stars. You'll see the photos, read the biographies and go back to the
mid-1940's at 2NZ Inverell, 3BO Bendigo and 4CA Cairns. These join
many others
already at www.radioheritage.net such as 2CA Canberra, 2CH Sydney,
3MA Mildura, 3CV Central Victoria, 2HR Hunter River, 4BU Bundaberg,
7HO Hobert and 7LA Launceston...

US Armed Forces Radio New Guinea Memories
John Dietrich helped establish WVTB Nadzab near Lae in 1944. Before
going to New Guinea, he broadcast to American troops over 4QR
Brisbane. Now,
at www.radioheritage.net, you'll find his exclusive story: 'The
Pioneer
Radio Voice of New Guinea, WVTB', published for the first time ever,
and
lavishly illustrated with images from his personal collection. The
watercolor
painting of the WVTB studio is a unique item of war time
artwork.......

On Christmas Day 1944, WVTB held an outdoor broadcast covering the
'Christmas Olympics' and John Dietrich was the play-by-play
announcer. At
www.radioheritage.net you'll find the letter John wrote to his folks
back home describing the broadcast, along with photos of the baseball
match, even John's scorecard....and coming soon, you can listen to
rare audio of the broadcast. Taken from a fragile shellac recording
made by WVTB that Christmas Day over 60 years ago, and exclusively
with John's story: 'WVTB Baseball Olympics 1944'.

Also coming soon, 'Jungle Network News' takes us behind the scenes of
the AFRS stations in New Guinea, the Dutch East Indies and the
Philippines. Anecdotes from the announcers, news about the invasion
at Leyte, and an exclusive guide to these AFRS Jungle Network
stations only at www.radioheritage.net. Read about other AFRS
stations in our ongoing series, now covering AFRS Alaska, AFRS Japan,
and AFRS China-Burma-India.

New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Guide
------------------------------------
At last, the only [almost] complete guide to all LPFM radio stations
ever to broadcast in New Zealand from the 1990's to today! Almost 500
stations, over 1000 frequencies, and coming soon to
www.radioheritage.net.    The guide will be searchable by station
name, location or frequency, and we're
currently testing an interactive version so station owners can keep
their listings right up to date. This is the first complete guide of
its kind for these LPFM stations that are found all over New Zealand
and keep the spirit of radio alive amongst today's generation.

PAL Shortwave Radio Guide
-------------------------
Now online at www.radioheritage.net, the latest seasonal changes for
all domestic and international shortwave broadcasters in the Asia and
Pacific region. These are detailed listings of frequencies,
transmitter
powers, beam, programs, callsigns and more, and now available for
easy download in pdf format. Bruce Portzer's exclusive PAL Shortwave
Guide joins his popular Mediumwave Guide, and together, they list
some 6000+ stations with
some 50,000 data entries. A FREE resource for every worldband radio
listener, radio enthusiast, radio engineer and anyone interested in
knowing more about radio in fast growing markets like China and
India, as well as the rest of Asia and the Pacific.

Australian Vintage Radio Historian Hits the Road
Perth based Steve Savell is touring Australia in July, visiting some
two dozen vintage radio collectors to gather material for his
exclusive DVD set about Australian vintage radio. Interviews with
original radio designers and manufacturers and previously secretive
collectors, plus exclusive footage, photos and material will
highlight this amazing DVD production.

Register your interest in Steve's Vintage Radio DVD Set today
We'll have more about Steve's journey at www.radioheritage.net
shortly, plus release date and how you can order a copy. Register
your interest to buy a set today by sending an email to:
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'Vintage DVD' in the header. Also, order
your set of Steve's Vintage
Radio Medallions Collection from us today at www.radioheritage.net.
We have some sets still left.

But wait, there's more
----------------------
Throughout July, listen to Radio NZ International [www.rnzi.com] for
our two new radio heritage documentaries. One covers 'Babyboomer
Radio' in
New Zealand with lots of 'pirate' Radio Hauraki jingles, original ads
and great Kiwi music from the 1960's.

The second covers 'Pacific Radio' with an exclusive overview of
today's challenges facing radio around the islands, plus hard to hear
station ID jingles from Niue, Tonga, Samoa etc.....and the original
ZCO Tonga interval signal played on a noseflute.

Lots more new stuff at www.radioheritage.net as well: more Long Lost
Radio Images, the new look Top 20 stories, winner of the Children's
Art
Competition run in association with the Japanese Embassy [NZ], how to
buy our Top 50 Radio Books and Top 15 Vintage Radio books and more.

News to use
-----------
Please use any of these items, our media releases etc and tell your
friends and colleagues about our great site:
www.radioheritage.net.....where it's all about keeping our Pacific
radio history and heritage alive.
  We're supported by individuals and businesses who share our vision
to protect the past for future generations.
  Donations to keep free access to the website are welcomed, and
volunteers who'd like to help can email us at: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
today. Whether it's $1 or one hour of your time, you can make a
difference!

David Ricquish
Chairman
Radio Heritage Foundation
PO Box 14339, Wellington 6241
New Zealand
www.radioheritage.net

PS..don't forget to enter our 'pirate' Radio Hauraki competition!
with 'unsubscribe' in the header.

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.