[HCDX] LA-MW logs from the past night

Hello to all of you !

Repport from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds / Montreal's West Island, Quebec, Canada
1-514-685-0714
Equipment:
Sanyo MCD-S830 portable with his internal ferrite bar antenna

The past night was quite awesome, as far as Latin American MW DX is concerned, for this time of the year. It's the FIRST time in July when I surely got TWO SOUTH AMERICANS ON MEDIUMWAVE !!!

But, it was different from the other openings of June and early July which I reported to HCDX and other lists in Spanish. It was different in that Radio Coro never really reached a decent strenght and Caicos-530 was pretty much useless. But, it's the first time in July when I get anything out of Barranquilla, Colombia on 760. The other times, Radio Coro 780 kHz would have been the only South American audible. So, yes, it was different, but still pretty outstanding considering the time of the year !

Into the logs:

760 COLOMBIA,    HJAJ, RCN Cadena Basíca, Barranquilla, dpt. Atlantico  JUL 14 0346 - Assumed this with a young woman doing an apparently news report in Spanish, mixing with somewhat stronger remains of nulled WJR. Very difficult to read, although the signal was quite strong, but WJR was booming in and was difficult to null out. SIO 312-1. First time in July for me ! My goal is to get this Colombian, the next summer in mid-june ! Sure, it is possible ! HJAJ-760 has always been the most consistent Colombian and one of the most consistent South Americans in Montreal. (Chiochiu-QC)

780 VENEZUELA,    YVNM, Radio Coro, estado Falcón  JUL 14 0403 - Part of their ToH ID sneaked through local splatter from next-to-adjacent instrumental liner on CJAD-800 with "...Radio Coro, patrimonio de la comunidad...". SIO 131 and improved very quickly to a better level (SIO 322) with YV pasaje mx at 0405, but fading out quickly afterwards, slight QRM from WBBM which wasn't too easy too null out, although it wasn't a major problem. After 0406, did never come-back to a readable level. (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,    CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas  JUL 14 0327 - very good with stations spots and promo for the upcoming Saturday "Ritmos En Concierto" program with a cha-cha-cha "cantante" (singer) ending in "...por FM estereo o por onda media" followed by theme jingle, ID and time-check. After the time-check, inunded by strong overspills from a very strong WCBS-880. +JUL 14 0413 - Nocturno -> with an astonishing Spanish soft-rock tune, probably Mana (a great Mexican rock band). Very good reception during the tune and faded down to a very poor level at the end of it !!! So, I got it perfectly on tape !!! +JUL 14 0427 - Male DJ presenting music, including some old stuff "...cortesía de Nocturno, en sus grandes exitos de los años '40...". I'd like to remind you that Nocturno is a prerecorded program. The announcements are simple information regarding the tunes played and there is no information regarding the weather or anything else. Radio Progreso is having many prerecorded programs. General SINPO 43322. (Chiochiu-QC)

Other than the time spent at the radio dials the past evening, I also listened to something else really great. I just received from a very friendly guy, unscoped airchecks of a 100% techno-house music french station, Maxximum, the one which replaced Aventure FM which is way much better and my favorite all-times radio station. Still, it was awesome to hear great house tracks I didn't even know, that weren't necesarily populars, since Maxximum had a lot of new realeses. It's a great present from my 19th birthday !!!! I hope to be able to relisten to something out of Aventure FM. Maybe, since it's a special station, being owned by the French Army, that some DXers will be willing to discover it. Maybe Glenn could talk about it on the World of Radio programs.

Otherwise, another big thanks to José Elias Diaz Gomez in Venezuela for having helped me with music I was looking for.

As far as the languages issue is concerned, I plan to alternate ven between English and Spanish repports. The reason is that I don't want to have problems being understood by the friendly Venezuelan and Cuban guy I'm in touch with. That being said, I plan to post in the future more in English. I received a complaining joke from 2 Western Canadian DXers regarding this issue. but, most importantlly of all, I'd like to rejoin the National Radio Club. The NRC membership means no more regular Spanish repports, only now and them when I get the time to write two separate ones. I wonder where should I sent the money in order to become an NRCer. Also, something odd is that my Spanish gets better and better to the detriment of my English, since I seldom watch any English TV. But, as far as the NRC is concerned, it will enable me to get up with the current DX scene and being able to see the astnonishing Marc Connelly logs, since he don't seem to post his catches to Hard-Core-DX anymore. Also, as far as domestic DX is concerned, since I don't have the NRC log, it will enable me to look for new targets in the mess the AM band has been trowned with thousands of US signals every night. I don't know the domestics as well as I know for what Pan-American or Trabs-Atlantic targets to look for and this will make my logbook and my DX sessions more productive when there isn't anything hot toward the southern or eastern foreign stuff.

A big thanks to Bruce Conti or anyone else for reading this e-mail and helping me with the NRC address !!!!! Considering I definitively beated this damned cancer, I will be able to take full advantage of spectacular condx, like the TA openings of last October in the case something equally good or even greater will repeat, and see what Europeans are really rocking the MW band !
It's a big shame Norway-1314 has leaved mediumwave forever !!!!

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu
"¡ Es la diferencia que nos da la motivación para tener felicidad, cariño é exito en nuestra vida !"

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.