[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 21-22

** CANADA. For quite some time, tho I have not mentioned it until now, RCI on
9515 in the mornings has been rather undermodulated. Nov 21 at 1505, I found
its weak audio very much lower than its neighbour NHK Warido direct from Japan
on 9505; and RCI // 13655 was also notably louder (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. As Arnie Coro advised on the midweek DXers Unlimited, RHC has finally
indeed moved to 15370 for the 13-15 UT broadcast, as heard Nov 22 at 1353, so
it`s not a typo for 13750, altho that frequency is canceled at the same time.
But now there is a different 13 MHz channel, 13680 as well. No doubt RHC wanted
to get its own broadcasts away from that awful squealing transmitter used for
China relay after 1400 on 13740 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. Ran across a good signal from Europe in English with news and
sports about Netherlands, Nov 22 at 0622. But no RN in English at this hour.
It`s Deutsche Welle via Kigali to West Africa at 295 degrees, and thus onward
toward us. Unfortunately, this is one of the English broadcasts reduced to a
semihour, followed by Hausa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ITALY. Rai, 11800, Nov 22 at 1500 introducing broadcast in Italian to Malta,
mentioning this and 11825 plus a 9 MHz frequency I did not catch. Not audible
on 11825 next to WYFR, but good on 11800, far beyond the target area. Rai
schedule at http://www.bclnews.it shows it at 1500-1525 for North Africa, the
third frequency being 9575, but I`m sure I heard them address Malta.

However, 11800 is beamed 120 degrees toward the ME (CIRAF 38, 39), much too far
eastward for Malta, while 11825 and 9675 are aimed 235 degrees (CIRAF 37), too
far westward. But directly off the back of 120 is 300, more or less toward us.

This was probably the broadcast originally in the Maltese language, but
replaced by Italian years ago due to ``unavailability of Maltese announcers``,
the Italian word for which one linguist mistranslated literally as
``indisposition``. BTW, what does Prato Smeraldo, the place of the Rai
transmitter site mean? Smeraldo is Emerald, but neither Babelfish nor Google
can translate Prato (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Altho others report RNZI DRM on 7145 before 1400, no DRM
audible here on 7145 around 1420 Nov 21. I wonder if they are turning it off
after 1400; maybe no station in Pacific wants to relay it then (Glenn Hauser,
WORLD OF RADIO 1337, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Confirming my suspicion that RNZI is turning DRM off from 7145 at 1400: Nov 22
I tuned in a minute earlier and heard the DRM buzz from 7140 to 7150, but it
vanished promptly at 1400, so either they are no longer running it overnight,
or have some other unknown frequency after that time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Listened to Live from Turkey at 1951 UT Tuesday Nov 21 on webcast.
The phone number given twice at outset is definitely: +90 312 491 2896, and
mentioned twice again at 2005. NO callers, so the hosts played music and
chatted about EU membership meaning Turkish ports would have to be open to
Greek Cypriot ships, something Turkey doen`t want to do; and RCC Pope
Benedict`s upcoming visit where he will get second-class treatment since he
will be welcomed by a Catholic official giving him a ride, rather than the
president, as originally expected on a head-of-state level (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Good episode of VOA`s Talk to America, Wed Nov 22, with Kim Andrew
Elliott guesting the entire hour about international broadcasting, and the
first caller Tarek Zeidan in Cairo. No more 5-minute editorial or other feature
at hourend either. Altho this was publicized in advance in DXLD, if you missed
it, find it in the audio archive at
http://www.voanews.com/english/NewsAnalysis/TTA-New-Past-Shows.cfm
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Yahoo! Music Unlimited