[HCDX] Pacific Radio Heritage # 15 - January 2007

Pacific Radio Heritage #15
__________________________

January 2007
The latest news from the team at the Radio Heritage Foundation
[www.radioheritage.net]. a non-profit organization sharing the
stories of radio
from around the wider Pacific.

Hi everyone...we're already three weeks into 2007, and hoping your
new year is
shaping up good. We just celebrated our second full year on line, and
judging
by the search entries, literally thousands of different things
connected to
radio bring you to the site every month!

I'm going to ask you to do just a couple of things after you've read
this ......the first is to stop by and visit www.radioheritage.net
over the
next few days and see what's new since you last
visited......secondly, I'd like
you to take some time to reflect about what you enjoy most about
radio....and
thirdly, to find a way to share that enjoyment with someone else this
year.

Gerald Celente is a trend spotter, he gave us organic food and the
coffee
drinking revolution, and in a recent issue of his 'Trends Journal'
writes a
piece about nostalgia called 'Sentimental Journeys'. Designed for an
American
audience, the themes are universal.

"Aging baby boomers, working madly to make ends meet as they watch
their lives
slip by, wax nostalgic for times from their youth that seemed more
fulfilling
than the rat races their lives have now become."

We've noticed this. Our images from the 1950's and 1960's are in
great demand.
Emails tell us about the 'good old days', books about radio events in
the
1960's are top sellers. People want to remind themselves of those
days. Our
stories at www.radioheritage.net are clearly helping fulfill this
need to
connect again with the past.

Celente then spots the key trend: 'It's not only the boomers or their
elders
that see a brightly colored past. America's 'cultural creative'
teens-to-
twenties are also looking back to find the cutting edge'.

That's right, ipod firmly fixed in the ear, texting their friends
across town,
todays radio listeners are 'looking back to find the cutting edge'. I
heard a
top contemporary record producer say today that nothing new has
happened in
music since the Beatles!

In 'The Trends Journal', Celente concludes 'If society embraces the
best of
yesterday, a tomorrow of new ideas and actions will begin to
flourish'. As you
look around the content at www.radioheritage.net, I hope you'll find
a lot
of 'the best of yesterday' that inspires your tomorrows in 2007.

Amongst our new content these past few weeks, we've added 'Incredible
India' -
the story of how 16% of the world's population has moved from one
radio service
just over five years ago to a crazy new world of RJ's, city-wise
stations and
jangling jingles.....the Art of Radio Hawaii (c) which looks at
classic images
of Hawaiian radio from the 1940's to 60's and has already brought
back memories
for Harry Soria whose 'Territorial Airwaves' radio shows in Honolulu
have been
going for nearly 30 years......

Harry writes 'I've visited www.radioheritage.net and enjoyed your Art
of Radio
Hawaii (c) exhibit. It brought back many memories for me, as my
father, Harry B
Soria Sr worked at several of these stations as they sprang up in
Honolulu
after the war. I also got to know that rascal Alan Roycroft through
my Dad. I
read about him on your site and found myself reminiscing about those
times as
well.'

If you have a love of Pacific radio and music, go visit Harry's new
site:
www.territorialairwaves.com for old Hawaiian radio shows, interviews,
music,
and so much more.

The Long Lost Australian Radio Stars Series has many new stars on
line,
covering 2CK Cessnock, 2UE Sydney, 4TO Townsville and 6IX-6MD-6WB
Perth and
regionals...and even more will be at www.radioheritage.net
shortly.....whilst
the Armed Forces Radio History Series adds an excerpt from Peter H
Green's very
readable book 'Dad's War with the US Marines' covering his father's
time with
WXLI Guam....check out the cartoon!

Adrian Peterson adds to his Wavescan Series, this time Radio in
Sabah. We've
found some rare photos of mobile radio station 9AO before it left for
the area,
as well as photos of 9AF Labuan from the 1940's. The second in his
Radio in
Singapore stories will be added soon, again with unique images you
won't find
elsewhere.

Short Term Kiwi Radio Memories gets us closer to the 2007 campaign to
find and protect radio ephemera throughout New Zealand. Radio Hauraki
fans will soon be able to enjoy a new Hauraki blog for memories,
questions, answers and comments......and stay tuned for some big
announcements....plus there's a new blog for those involved in the
local Low Power FM radio scene with images, audio and more....

The Pacific Asian Log Radio Guides have all been updated. These carry
almost
50,000 data entries and include all mediumwave and shortwave stations
in the
region. It gets rave reviews and hundreds use it weekly to plan their
radio
listening! The NZ Low Power FM Radio Guide is now updated daily, and
has about
4,000 data entries and growing.

I'd like to wrap this newsletter with special thanks to all those
who've
contributed time, memorabilia, CD's, books, donations, messages, and
suggestions during 2006. They inspire us to keep providing more of
the best of
yesterday's radio stories at www.radioheritage.net.

We're shortly having a fund raising pledge drive to help put us on a
firmer
financial footing for the next few months, and we've got some great
items as
thank you gifts. When you get the email, please support us. Our
financial year
ends on March 31 and with so much radio heritage and history waiting
to be
saved and shared, what you can do now really does make a difference.

Remember, please take time to reflect on what radio means to you, and
how you
can share that enjoyment with others in 2007.  Happy New Year!

David Ricquish, Chairman
______
The Radio Heritage Foundation is an independent and registered
non-profit
charity supported by individuals and businesses sharing the vision to
protect
the many colorful aspects of Pacific radio heritage for future
generations.

Radio Heritage Foundation, PO Box 14339, Wellington 6241, New
Zealand. Website:
www.radioheritage.net. Email: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Reg. No.
1473801
subject
line, however, we hope you don't mind hearing from us every month or
so. Our
apologies if you get more than one copy of this newsletter

Preorder your WRTH 2007: