[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 14-15

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, 15265, very big signal from Rampisham UK, Nov 15
at 1435-1500* with usual (and I do mean usual) selexion of lively music,
occasional announcements. If it`s S9+20 way off the back of the beam, what is
it like in the boresight? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, 15510, very weak spur at 1431 Nov 15 with IS // very strong
15370. Can`t figure out any leapfrog mix as no other Cuban frequency on 19m at
this time. 15230 CRI relay would work, except that`s via Sackville (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ETHIOPIA [and non]. Now it seems that the Ethiopians, or their supporters,
are jamming Deutsche Welle. Nov 14 at 1443 I found jamming on 11645, wavering
carriers sweeping slowing back and forth across the frequency, causing hets of
constantly varying pitch, but as they swept they were also wobbling up and
down. At maximum deviation the pitch was high enough that interference to the
target was minimized, but it was worst when approaching and receding from
zero-beat. The main jammer was much stronger than the target, whose language I
could not identify. With BFO on, I could hear the varying carriers on both
sides of 11645.

This was quite different from the rapidly oscillating jamming heard during the
same period the day before on 15645, but nothing audible there today. At 1455
the jamming against 11645 shifted, or another transmitter was added, with more
rapid oscillation. But the target went off between 1457 and 1458 and so did all
the jamming shortly afterwards.

At 1459 a somewhat stronger carrier came back on, and 1500 Deutsche Welle ID,
into language. I figured the previous station on 11645 would be yet another
Ethiopian clandestine, but looked up in HFCC, we find it`s the Amharic service
of DW at 1400-1457 via Rwanda, at 30 degrees! Followed at 1500 by DW Swahili
via Rwanda, at 180 degrees --- why would they aim Swahili due south from
Rwanda??

As for the source of the jamming, either the Ethiopians have made a
considerable investment in a somewhat sophisticated SW jamming system, or they
are clients of an hypothetical International Jamming Services, Ltd. which uses
spare capacity at well-known HF transmitter sites on a mercenary basis.

Tuned in 11645 earlier in the hour the next day, Nov 15 at 1404; could not hear
any DW until after 1430, but the jamming was underway, variable carrier hets,
but also solid noise, motorboating. Wolfgang Büschel was also monitoring this
and pointed out that the // frequency for DW Amharic is 15640 via Sri Lanka,
and that has also been getting jammed. I heard that too Nov 15 at 1407, just
noise, and much more effective. He describes the jamming as ``a combination of
four sounds, like bubble, motorboat, pips, and whistle buoy howl. Never heard
about jamming against DWL Amharic before in past decades or so`` (Glenn Hauser,
OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1382, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JORDAN. R. Jordan, in keeping with above-average propagation from ME Nov 15,
at 1400 on 11690 with news in French; good signal but some flutter; HCJB and
RTTY not a problem, but HCJB faded up a few minutes later to mix (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. Shiokaze, 5985 via Taiwan, Nov 14 at 1400 with piano
theme, opening in Japanese, tho later it sounded like Korean. Slight het,
presumably from Myanmar 5986v (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. The departing VOT announcer made a second farewell appearance on
Thursday`s Live from Turkey, Nov 15 at 1355 on 12035 with good reception. He`s
really leaving the country the next day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Checking for WORLD OF RADIO on reactivated WBCQ frequency
17495.1-CUSB, UT Thu Nov 15 at 0005, what did I hear? Nothing but Chinese. Yes,
CRI is scheduled there from Beijing site southwards from 0000. With all the
open frequencies on 16m, why such a collision? Perhaps because WBCQ is
registered only until 2300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. I suspect Saudi Arabia has made some schedule changes not yet
showing up in the registrations. Once again on Nov 14 at 1500, no sign of the
scheduled Call of Islam service on 15435, but at 1507 I did hear a weak muezzin
on 15170, which is a BSKSA frequency in the local mornings, but nothing
scheduled at this hour; no more audible at 1528 recheck (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15660, something new here not in HFCC or Aoki, at 1408 news with
English actualities, voiceovered in unID language, about Pakistan. Sounds like
a major broadcaster (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Be a better pen pal.

Preorder your WRTH 2007: