[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 19-20

** CHINA. Firedrake audible on 9200 at 1443 Feb 20, and somewhat weaker also on
10400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. HCJB, 11960, yet another time to hear them announce the wrong
frequencies, at 1444:30 Feb 20, then La Biblia Dice (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON [and non]. Routine check of Afropop music distraxion, Feb 20 at 1524
found it on primary channel of 17660, but for a change there was co-channel and
fast SAH from something in French, an occasional word of which could be heard
during fades; not // 17630 ANU. However, the French was no longer heard from
1527, and when Afropop went off at 1531 it could not be heard either tho there
was some weak carrier remaining (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. 15630 once again had lots of carrier breaks when checked Feb 19 at
1520. In fact, I counted 13 of them during a 1-minute period, when the
transmitter was off more than it was on. When will they ever overcome this or
give up? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. Another check of ERA5 via SVO Olympia, 15630, Feb 20 at 1521 found
carrier dropping off about 9 times in that minute; but in the following minute
when I had stopped counting, even more times and it was off more than on. How
much longer are they going to mess with this obviously unsuccessful test?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ICELAND. Contrary to Anker`s observations, which may have been correct for
that date only, since ISBS timings vary, on Feb 19 as early as 1422 I was
getting very weak talk and no music, which I think was ISBS and not R. Free
Asia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU now seems to be a bit lower around 9599.1, Feb 20 at 0620 but
best reception yet in classical solo piano recital, S9 +15, SINPO 44444.
However, it was missing at another time I usually hear it, 1442; just some weak
Asian signal on 9600.

XEXQ, 6045, barely audible with classical music at 1435 Feb 20 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. 7200, Feb 20 at 0641 in Russian talk, than rock music in English;
fair signal but carrier frequency fluxuating rapidly, and even more obvious
with BFO on, the Yakutsk warbler (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. Having failed to update its SW frequency schedule from A-06 to
B-06, Sudan Radio Service now seems to have given up on displaying any SW
schedule (I hope this doesn`t mean they are really off the air) which I had
bookmarked at http://www.sudanradio.org/schedule.htm

Now the closest we can come is the timetable
http://www.sudanradio.org/timetable.php
showing programs but no frequencies, which is helpful once you subtract 3 hours
for UT, and on another page you can listen to various archived programs, and on
yet another page in other languages. Presumably this means that everyone in
Sudan now has a broadband internet connexion (Glenn Hauser, Feb 19, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. BBC Spanish website claims that from Feb 19 there is a new M-F
broadcast to Cuba and Caribbean at 11-12 on 13870, 13570, 6300, 5100!

I happened to wake up at 1148 Feb 19 and found nil on 13870, 13570, 6300, 5100.
Is BBC Mundo living in a fantasyland? Noel Green suggests that perhaps the
frequencies mentioned were not meant to be specific but as a range, somewhere
within which they would transmit, the limits of the bands; at least that
applies to 22 m, but that`s not the way the announcement reads. On Feb 20, Noel
and Raúl Saavedra were hearing this only on 13760, GUF or WHRI? (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WEWN missing from 7540 in Spanish, at 0639 check Feb 20. Then I found
it on new 7455 heavily mixing with RTTY, despite WEWN`s super-power!

With the usual unxious announcer raving on and on about Mary, in
super-reverential tones. In Spanish they keep talking about her stomach or
belly, ``vientre``, afraid to use the proper word for womb, ``útero`` (which
ironically is masculine), or ``matriz`` (feminine). My Random House
Spanish/English dixionary does not even mention womb as a meaning of
``vientre``. Perhaps an even greater miracle was involved by developing an
infant in her stomach. We know what usually becomes of the fruit of one`s
stomach, don`t we? Perhaps the RCatholix should rethink their euphemisms.

Why in the world would WEWN move from a good clear frequency abruptly to one
occupied by RTTY for ages, and thus avoided until recently by more savvy US
frequency managers, with the exception of WYFR, which started using it at the
beginning of B-06 but at 0700-1100 only?

Now according to http://www.ewtn.org/radio/freq.htm WEWN is on there all the
way from 2300 to 1300. So presumably this was also coördinated with WYFR; else
we will have an even bigger collision. I haven`t yet checked it after 0700.

As usual, despite mid-season changes, the effective dates for the displayed
frequency schedule remain ``Effective October 26 2006 - March 25, 2007`` but
instead in Spanish ``Horario vigente el 29 octubre 2006 al 25 marzo 2007``! So
it is impossible to tell just when the change was made, but it is a blatant lie
to state that 7455 went into use in October. Looking it over, I don`t notice
any other new frequencies, tho there could be some adjustments. One would have
to find a copy of the previous schedule somewhere else to compare.

I suspect early changes like this are jockeying for position now that HFCC A-07
coordination has been completed. Or, if some ute or government agency
complained about WEWN on 7540, where no interference was really to be heard,
will that RTTY station on 7455 now complain about WEWN? Hard to imagine they
would not, unless they are paying no more attention to co-channel problems than
WYFR and WEWN. For its own benefit, hard to imagine WEWN did not know about the
RTTY or check out the frequency by axual monitoring before moving onto 7455
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Preorder your WRTH 2007: