Re: [HCDX] Tropical bands very much alive!

Hello Walter
I send this mesage thrice to your email but seems  bounced and i do not know why ....
this is the reason I send this mesa throu the mail list

Your thoghts in this mesage  remind also my thoughts....
When i was driving  thru very big lands incide Greece  , i  was always thinking
putting wires of more than 1500 m  long , posibly suitable to DX on
MWs esp in the LA or even SEA
or even  making a rombic antenna  400 m each pole , with orientation towards  SEA  for
listening to my most belowed sations  from that places (Msia , Insia ,
Brunei  etc).......
I also have a 1103  but sudenly it  lost  its AM  abilities and i today sporadically use my 1102
to listen only to specified stations  for QSL reasons. Unfortunately Degen/Tecsun  seems
closed and a pending order is now impossible . It is now 5 months  since i have   no news
from them.

Are you there?
http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=walter+salmaniw&init=q

You can look at me in

> I've just returned from a short vacation in Maui, Hawaii.  In my
> possession, I brought along my Kaito/Degen 1103 portable receiver
> along with about 20' of random wire.  As is so often the case, my
> monitoring recaptured some of the thrill that has been lost in
> recent years as tropical band stations drop out one by one.  The
> norm in the Pacific north west, where I live, is to hear virtually
> no stations in the dawn period on 60 meters, apart from a few
> Chinese power houses. Gone are the days when the band would be full
> of PNG, Indonesian, and other Asian stations.  Well, I found where
> they all went.  Where do you ask?  Hawaii is the simple answer!  For
> many of us, Hawaii can represent a relatively easily accessible
> DXer's paradise.  All that one needs is a handy portable SW
> receiver, and preferably some random length of wire.  For the really
> serious DXers out there, why not take along a real communications
> receiver.  In the past, I've taken along a Kenwood R5000 and dx'd
> some !
>  pretty amazing stations, including the old Taliban radio station
>  from Afghanistan on 41 meters with a wildly drifting signal in
>  English and later in Russian as well.  These days, there's an
>  excellent alternative, and that is Software Defined Radios, or SDR
>  for short. These nimble little units measure no larger than small
>  portables, but one does need a laptop to use with them.  I would
>  have really loved to have brought by Dell laptop and SDR-IQ or
>  Perseus receiver, but alas, I didn't.  Still, I had a lot of fun.
>  Over two mornings (from about 06:30 to 08:15 AM local or 16:30 to
>  18:15 UTC), I sat on the lanai scanning the tropical bands. Sunrise
>  occured at 7:03 AM during this time of the year, so no need for
>  super early rising.  Here's what I heard on Friday February 15th
>  and Saturday the 16th:
>
> 4635  Tajik Radio, Dushanbe  fair to good
> 4750  Probable Chinese at 16:45 on Sat.  CC programming with weak
> cochannel (which might have been Radio Peace in Sudan) 4760  Sat
> only.
>  May have been TWR Swaziland at fair level. 4775  Sat only at fair
> level with weak music.  ?AIR Imphal. 4800  Music at good to very
> good level.  CC. 4810  talk at poor level.  ?AIR Bhopal or Armenia.
> 4820 CC talk at good level and s/off at 18:00.  Lhasa, Tibet. 4828
> Zimbabwe fair with music. 4835 fair to good level.  Thought this was
> an African, but who?  Possibly too Alice Springs still on their day
> frequency instead of 2310. 4840  fair talk  AIR Mumbai? 4860  Koran
> at 16:52  AIR Delhi with Northern Service.  Fair. 4880  Good level
> with a het.  Seems on the high side of 4880.  Middle eastern
> sounding music. Presumably AIR Lucknow with Northern service. 4895
> fair reception on Saturday.  Probably AIR Kurseong, although
> couldn't absolutely rule out Sarawak (but doubt the latter). 4900
> fair to good with Firedrake style music.  Voice of the Strait,
> [...]

Please read my aricle on SINPO at
http://zliangas.blogspot.com/2008/02/sinpfemo-better-signal-tech-analysis-by.html
________________________
http://zliangas.blogspot.com  (radio tech , gadgets, grk ethics)
http://zlgr.multiply.com (radio monitoring site plus audio clips ) MAIN SITE
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
http://www.geocities.com/zliangas
http://www.myspace.com/310100806
http://del.icio.us/gr_geek1
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop

Order your WRTH 2008: