[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 2, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 2, 2008

** CHINA [and non]. Trans-Pacific conditions were poor on 120, 90, 75 and 60 m the morning of Oct 2, but Firedrake was still making it on 49m, e.g. at 1340 on 6095 // 6085 // 6030.

I see people still running across this ``traditional Chinese music`` on many frequencies and wondering what it is in various DX publications, despite discussions of this for years in DX LISTENING DIGEST, which I cannot force people to read in order to be well-informed. Perhaps part of the problem is that Firedrake is not listed as a `station` in WRTH or PWBR, even tho it has become one of the world`s major `broadcasters`.

Interesting to compare CRI transmitter sites at 1346 Oct 2: 9570 via Habana had very low modulation, making squishing sound at peaks. 9650 via Sackville, // but offset, had much better modulation but was splattering/spurring out to plus/minus 10 kHz, and more weakly to plus/minus 20 kHz. No CRI audible on 9560 vs R. Australia, unlike a previous day, so maybe that was a fluke or depends on unusual propagation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUAM. On 9900, Oct 2 at 1357 found VG signal in what sounded like an Indian love song; 1358 ID in S Asian language with postal address, ``namaskar`` and off immediately at 1359* Is my PWBR next to the radio any help? Of course not! I risked spraining my wrist for nothing. It shows something starting at 1400 but nothing ending at 1400. So as usual one must consult the much more accurate and up-to-date online resources, once the computer is turned on.

Aoki shows KTWR Guam, daily 1345-1400 in Santali, 100 kW, 285 degrees. Eibi spells it Santhali and in the readme explains that it`s spoken in India by 5.5 megapersons, and in Bangladesh by 150 kilopersons. WRTH says target is E Asia rather than S Asia. All agree it is the only KTWR broadcast on this frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA. AIR GOS, 9690, again making it Oct 2 at 1348, good modulation, but over some co-channel QRM also producing a ripple-fast SAH. Woman was speaking clearly in English in a tribute to Gandhi, pro-non-violence, ``dialogue is the only way to prevent terrorism``. Outroduced at 1353 by less intelligible YL announcer, so could not copy the attribution, into rap music and immediate tune-out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. Previously around 1300 on R. Nikkei, we have heard English lessons and German lessons, and on Thu Oct 2 at 1302 there were French lessons for Japanese listeners, on 6055, about goings-on in Paris (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA SOUTH [non]. KBSWR, 9650 via Canada, Thu Oct 2 at 1240 in English with Korean language lessons on the theme of bank transaxions. One really needed printed material to follow it. And even better, some printed won (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Have barely been able to detect a carrier from XEXQ lately, but heard much better Oct 2 on 6045: 1222 tune-in, good modulation with classical cinema music from an epic western, familiar but I could not place it. No announcements. Much better copy than under-modulated CFRX 6070 with 4x the power; and also better than XEOI 6010 which is also 4x the power, nominally, further than SLP and normally has the upper hand in this time period. At 1230 a SAH of 72 per minute started from another 6045 station, = 1.2 Hz, but no detectable modulation and not too obtrusive. However, online schedules do not show anything starting at 1230 on 6045.

Rechecking at 1249: Spanish announcement in progress mentioning Universidad Autónoma de San Luís Potosí, which is all one needs for a definite ID, besides the paucity of classical music on SW, any other 6045 station in particular. Now the QRM had changed a lot with a fast SAH, flutter, and het or tone: the latter no doubt from Vladivostok warming up for the VOR Chinese broadcast at 1300. At 1257, XEXQ was playing Albinoni`s Adagio, an extremely beautiful piece for which all other stations should QRX or QRT in deference. But no! At 1300 Chinese talk started from VOR. Recheck at 1332, VOR had faded down and XEXQ again dominant with some more classical music, and was still stronger than 6010 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. See USA for Brother Scare et al., on WINB

** U S A. Brother Scare via WINB, 9265, Oct 2 at 1341, mixing with ``running water`` ute QRM for part of the 1343 minute; and not // Brother Scare via WWRB, 9385 --- at least no // detected during a minute of listening to each frequency. If you don`t like what he`s saying on one station, just tune to the other! Then what?

Just when is B.S. on WINB? Their online sked displays it this way, rather inconveniently, in EDT:

The Overcomer
Mon-02:00P, Tue-02:00P, Wed-02:00P, Thu-02:00P, Fri-02:00P
[= M-F 1800 UT, for how long? One hour]

The Overcomer - Bro. Stair
Sun-05:00P [2100 UT, for how long? 1 hour per sked by time, so why isn`t this included in the following entry?]

The Overcomer (1 Hr.)
Sun-02:00P, Mon-05:00P, Tue-05:00P, Wed-05:00P, Thu-05:00P
Fri-05:00P, Sat-05:00P [Sun 18-19 so why isn`t this included in the first entry? And Mon-Sat 21-22 UT]

The Overcomer (3 Hr.)
Sat-02:00P [1800-2100 UT]

The Overcomer (4 Hr.)
Sat-10:00A [1400-1800 UT]

Note that on Saturdays only, or rather The Sabbath, this adds up to a continuous 8-hour broadcast 1400-2200.

Frequencies? At the top of the page it now shows:
Frequency Schedule (EDT)

0630 - 0800  9265 kHz [1030-1200 UT]
0800 - 1700 13570 kHz [1200-2100 UT]
1700 - 1800 11520 kHz [2100-2200 UT]
1800 - 2300  9265 kHz [2200-0300 UT]

11520??? I was almost convinced the 21-22 UT hour, which only carries Brother Scare, came via DTK in Germany. WRTH, HFCC and EiBi do not have this hour at all on 11520 from anywhere, and Aoki lists it as USA but no further details. The latest FCC update as of August 14 does not have 11520 as WINB or any US station.

We hear the broadcast just about any day, and it seems to us the audio is appropriate for DTK and not WINB. However, the WINB schedule shows it filling a one-hour gap between 13570 until 21 and 9265 from 22, so it would seem to be their own transmitter.

Even so, another possible scenario is that it is WINB only in the sense that WINB is being relayed via Germany. But the latest M&B/DTK schedule dated Sept 5 does not show 11520, only 13810, 17485 and 6110 for TOM = The Overcomer Ministry, at other times. Yet another scenario is that 11520 may have been relayed from Germany for a while this summer, then transferred to Red Lion.

We must listen closer to any IDs at beginning or end, and also whether there is any overlap with 13570 and 9265. Furthermore, whenever we tune 13570 with BFO on, we find that the frequency is unstable with a pronounced warble, and if it is the same transmitter, that should also happen on 11520 (and 9265). That may be the clincher once checked. But why doesn`t FCC have 11520 on record??

While we are looking at the WINB program schedule, we find this for Tony Alamo:

Mon-11:00A, Mon-03:00P, Mon-06:00P,
Tue-11:00A, Tue-03:00P, Tue-06:00P,
Wed-11:00A, Wed-03:00P, Wed-06:00P,
Thu-11:00A, Thu-03:00P, Thu-06:00P,
Fri-11:00A, Fri-03:00P, Fri-06:00P

Or put much more conveniently, converted to UT: M-F 1500-1600 & 1900-2000 13570, 2200-2300 on 9265. So we may hear how he responds to the charges against him, and whether these broadcasts get canceled.

Let`s also check the Family Radio relay times on WINB, which can cause confusion with Harold Camping & Co. showing up here despite his dozen transmitters in Okeechobee and ever-expanding overseas relays. There can never be enough droning from this unordained authority with seemingly limitless broadcasting resources:

Family Radio - English
Sun-08:00A, Sun-09:00A, Sun-08:00P,
Mon-08:00A, Mon-09:00A, Mon-08:00P,
Tue-08:00A, Tue-09:00A, Tue-08:00P,
Wed-08:00A, Wed-09:00A, Wed-08:00P,
Thu-08:00A, Thu-09:00A, Thu-08:00P,
Fri-08:00A, Fri-09:00A, Fri-08:00P,
Sat-08:00A, Sat-09:00A, Sat-08:00P

[I.e., much more succinctly, converted to UT, one hour each and with frequencies: Daily 12-13 9265, 13-14 13570, 00-01 9265.]

Family Radio - Spanish
Sun-07:00A, Sun-07:00P,
Mon-07:00A, Mon-07:00P,
Tue-07:00A, Tue-07:00P,
Wed-07:00A, Wed-07:00P,
Thu-07:00A, Thu-07:00P
Fri-07:00A, Fri-07:00P,
Sat-07:00A, Sat-07:00P

[I.e., much more succinctly, converted to UT, one hour each and with frequencies: Daily 11-12 & 23-24 9265.]
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. VOA, 9510 via Thailand, Oct 2 at 1345 promo for vice presidential debate ``Friday morning`` at 0100 UT. WTFK? Of course not! But VOA is normally on the SW air anyway to Asia at this hour. See our previous reports about special frequencies added for Africa, America.

VOA, 9760 via Philippines, Oct 2 at 1354 with USG editorial delivered by YL, criticizing Malaysia`s Internal Security Act allowing jailing of any opposition; mixing with CRI on 9760 but clear on // 9510 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. Since the relay was so fouled up the day before, [see CUBA in previous report] I checked 11705 again Oct 2 at 1243. This time RNV was axually being broadcast and in Spanish, but somewhat distorted and with occasional audio dropouts for a fraxion of a second.

At the moment, a sports segment, with listeners addressed as ``usuarios y usuarias``, i.e. male and female users! I have never heard any other Spanish-speaking station do this, so I wonder why RNV uses this terminology. Is it a Venezuelan thing, or a Bolivarian thing with ideological implications like ``comrades``? Or are they implying listeners should be addicted to RNV broadcasts?! Also for our amusement, occasional Windows cues mixed with the talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Order your WRTH 2008: