[HCDX] Logs for 02 October - Al Muick

We've had the last three days off here in Kabul for the Eid al Fitr holiday
and it's been a lot of fun just DX'ing!  Looks like I picked up all the
religious and clandestine DX today.

QTH:  Kabul Afghanistan

Receiver: WinRadio G303e

Antenna:  100m longwire

7245, TAJIK, V. of Tajik, in AR (? according to sked, but sure didn't sound
like AR...maybe accent), 2 Oct at 0400.  S4 signals until tx'er faulted off
at around 0403, then back at S3 and lower modulation.  Dunno what tx'ers
they are using, but the old Brown Boveris we had at VoA Tinian during my
stint there used to always choke and puke if the mod levels went too high
(it's a protective circuit actually), so maybe this happened here - or
someone leaned on the emergency shutdown switch (that happened too!).

Does anyone have a valid email address for Voice of Tajik?

7460, USA, R. Payam-e Doost, in Farsi to Iran.  OM talk with nice
instrumental mx at 0312 on 02 October.  S/off right at 0315 after a string
of IDs.  Nice strong signals, S4 without any jamming.  This is the Bahai'i
Faith getting their 2 cents in.

11530, CLAN, Denge Mezopotamya, in Farsi at 0435 jammin' with pop music on
Oct 2.  S4 sigs and no QRM and only light QSB.  Call me crazy, but the music
sounded like a combo between traditional Arab, Judas Priest and Sparks!  I
actually sat and listened for awhile.

12035, CLAN, SW R. Africa, in English at 1743 on Oct 2 with reporters and
discussions about the situation in Zimbabwe.  I remember a year or so ago
they were almost forced off the air due to lack of funds.  How fortunes have
changed!  Signal was weak (not beamed towards my area), but no interference
to be heard (again possible that I just can't hear the QRM - or that
Zimbabwe is too bankrupt to run the jammers!).  I still occasionally look
lovingly at my

QSL from the old Rhodesia Broadcasting Corporation....

13810, GERMANY, Bible Voice Broadcasting via Nauen, 1659 with Horn IS into
Tigrinya programming on 02 Oct.  Signal was weak but otherwise in the clear,
so it was intelligible.  They were aiming at East Africa, so it's a decent
catch for me off the side lobe of T-Systems' antenna.  Listing in WRTH is
under Canada for headquarters.  OM annxr was going to town with what seemed
to be a real fire and brimstone sermon, interspersed with African gospel
chanting and music.

15230, AUSTRALIA, CVC The Planet, in English with gospel rock countdown at
0930 GMT on 2 Oct.  Very slick production with PSAs including one where the
announcer lists over twenty reasons to give someone why you do not want to
have sex, including this gem: "I'm not old enough," and the more structured:
"I'm concerned about my future education and earning possibilities," and
"money isn't that important to me."  The PSA was almost two minutes long.
Gotta hand it to the Holy Rollers, they got all the bases covered.  Wonder
how this is working for them? Very good signal with some fading.

73,

Al Muick

"There never was a good war, or a bad peace." - Benjamin Franklin, Letter to
Jean Baptiste Le Roy, 13 November 1789, in Works (1882) vol. 10, p. 11

Order your WRTH 2008: