Re: Good Bolivian Night

This message is sent by hermod.pedersen@xxxxxx
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>Chuck Rippel wrote:
>
>One of my bench mark Bolivians, Radio Illimiani on 4.945.03 is coming
>in quite strongly as well as the Mexican on 2.389.93.
>
>Despite the solar condx (storm), it may be a good S.AM night.

No, not despite, rather thanks to the solar storm.

It is a well proven fact that solar storms (to a certain degree, of course)
actually enhance reception of signals coming from a souther signal path. If you
are living in the Northern Hemisphere, that is.

The reason for this probably is that the solar activity blocks a lot of signals
around the Northern Pole, thus giving more way for signals with a straight
southern path. They kind of sneak in below the storm cap up north.

Latin American station in the tropical bands, especially those in Peru and
Bolivia, are best received when there is a solar storm of moderate strength here
in Scandinavia. Many rare catches has been done during these storms. The
situation ought to be similar in North America.

So it is always worthwhile to follow the solar reports on WWW. It the solar
activity is slow and nice: it's medium wave (but not for sure). If, on the other
hand, you have a solar storm in progress: it's time for hunting the tropical
bands (and this is practically always certain).
--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx