Comoros & HF-250

This message is sent by kuhl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Harald Kuhl)
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

This message is sent by kuhl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Harald Kuhl)
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Regarding the question about Comoros: The one and only time I received Radio
Comoros here in Germany was on July 18, 1991, 1900-2000 UTC. Rwanda was off
3330 and Radio Comoros had a late s/off at 2000 UTC. I never sent them a
report but still have the tape in my files.

Some thoughts about the Lowe HF-250

I really like my HF-150 (when used together with a preselector) and I will
take the radio another time to Ecuador and may be even to Galapagos in early
November. I also like my HF-225 Europa because in more than one case it
provided better reception than my heavily modified NRD-525 (may be it is
over-modified, hi). Last week I did some testing with the new HF-250. It
really is a very good radio, like the HF-225. In fact, technically it seems
to be a Lowe HF-225, built into a new box containing some useful additional
features (255 memories, clock & timer, 100 Hz-Display etc.). I might be
wrong, but it should be sufficient just to read a good review of the older
HF-225 for getting an impression of the HF-250 if it comes to receiving
performance. Then just add the additional features of the HF-250 you can
read in Lowe´s publicity material and there you are. So, anybody who thought
about using an HF-225 but have not done it yet because of lack of features
now should think about using the new HF-250. The HF-250 is not the radio
announced earlier that should be in the same range as a NRD 525/535, R-8,
R71 etc. But it really is a very fine receiver.

Coming back to the HF-225 Europa: it comes complete with Synch, Keypad and a
better filter selection than the normal HF-225. The HF-250 however, comes
without remote control and without Synch. You have to invest more for
getting this very useful additional and essential features. I do not like
this kind of policy. A bit higher price for a complete receiver would have
been much better. But this is just a personal view, a question of taste may
be. But is there anybody who can tell me what we - even as program listeners
- can do with a 10 kHz wide filter on mediumwave or shortwave? The HF-250
has the same filter selection as the HF-225 - and not the improved selection
of the HF-225 Europa! They plan to introduce a HF-250 Europa next year. Lowe
should think about this tactic. I have doubts that DXers like this too much.
I have not compared it yet, but does this mean that the improved HF-225
Europa is a better receiver than the new HF-250? Why don´t they just include
the improved features of the HF-225 Europa into their HF-250? Again: this is
my personal view, of course.

Your comments on this and your own experiences with the new HF-250 are
highly welcomed! Finally: I really like the HF-250! I hope the HF-250 Europa
will be available soon.

vy 73 de Harald Kuhl

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx