DX News

This message is sent by "Don Moore" <MOORE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

No loggings, just background information.

Don Moore       MOORE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

COLOMBIA: In what is being hailed as a major development for the
non-profit community radio movement in Latin America, a new law in
Colombia will allow for up to 2000 new community and public
interest radio stations. Communities or associated organizations
may operate with up to 250 watts on either FM or AM. FM stations
may be 24 hours while AM are limited to daytime operation only.
The community stations have complete freedom over programming and
may air some commercial advertisements. However, large
corporations are strictly prohibited from owning these stations
and there are strong restrictions on how and when these stations
may be sold. Among the first beneficiaries of this law will be the
numerous low-powered religious radio stations which have been
operating illegally. (Translated summary of "Colombia Autoriza
Nuevas Emisoras" by Henrik Klemetz, originally printed in "Radio
World" magazine & reprinted in Radio Nuevo Mundo #214, via Don
Moore) Unfortunately no SW. This will likely affect some of the
unlicensed religious stations in Colombia that have been on SW
in recent years. (Don Moore)

ECUADOR: Ondas Azuayas in Cuenca on 1110 kHz relays some Radio
France Internationale programming on both its AM and FM
frequencies. The SW of 4985 is to be reactivated soon. This
according to DXer "A. Pedroia" in Play-DX (via Radio Nuevo Mundo
via Don Moore).

MEXICO: The Centro Promotor de la Radio Comunitaria en Mexico
(Ceprac) since February 6 has been producing a 5 minute radio
segment "Planeta Radio" which is carried on Radio Educacion's AM
frequency every Tuesday at 10:20 p.m. (Mexican time, I guess,
which would be 0420 UTC). The program includes sample recordings
from community radio stations in Mexico and Latin America and
news about community radio broadcasting. "Soon" they will begin a
regular 15 minute spot on Radio Mexico International on
shortwave.  According to the Ceprac representative who posted
this on the DEVMEDIA list, the program is not on Radio
Educacion's SW frequency, which carries a different program
stream from the AM. More information can be obtained from A.
Lopez Sustaita via e-mail at 75150.136@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Postal
mail to Apartado Postal 7-1126, Mexico 06702, DF, Mexico. If we
can actually receive this program, it will be an interesting way
to hear some unusual stations! Senor Lopez adds that Radio Mexico
has just bought new equipment and will shortly "regularize" their
transmissions. BTW, I don't know if he speaks English as I
communicated in Spanish. BTW, Radio Educacion's MW frequency
1050? 1060? I can't recall off hand - often comes in very well here
in Iowa, so I suspect people in Iowa and points south and west in the
US might be able to hear this program on MW, local QRM permitting.
(Don Moore)

PERU: In reference to Dave Valko's log of Radio Quillabamba with
mentions of Radio Sicuani and Radio Huanta Dos Mil, this was
probably part of a comunicado. In this example, someone in
Quillabamba sent messages to friends/relatives in Sicuani and
Huanta and specified which stations to reply on. Almost all
references to other stations that I've heard on Latin American
stations have been of this nature. Sometimes the sender will even
specify exactly when to answer, e.g. "Answer on Radio Sicuani on
Tuesday morning." Stations that carry comunicados usually do so
in a morning slot, a lunchtime slot, and the early evening. (Don
Moore)

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx