Re: WROA 1390 kHz

This is a message from "W.A. Merriman" <merriman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 03:54 AM 12/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>This is a message from DD9MW@xxxxxxx
>
>Martin Elbe
>Wolfsburg, Germany
>
>Hello,
>
>a short update on the recent discussion on a station with a WR.. call on
>1390. This morning from 0635 till after 0700 UTC I've heard WROA on 1390,
>giving a 100% clear ID at 0648 UTC.
>
>This station is heard regulary at the moment in the UK, for 30 years it was
>inaudible there. To my knowledge WROA was never heard before here in Germany.
>Does anybody know, if they have increased power, changed antenna pattern or
>something like that? Or is it just the sunspot-minimum allowing this
>ultra-rarissima to come through?
>Anyway, I was very pleased with my Xmas present! :-)
>
>7030's
>Martin

There has been no recent information from the FCC concerning any engineering
changes at WROA.  Their night antenna pattern shows major lobes S and ESE with
a deep null NE which would be towards Europe.  I do not have their day pattern
which is different from the night pattern.  Although it is only a guess I
suspect one of two things is happening:

A.  They are failing to change to their night pattern at sunset and the day
pattern is much more favorable to Europe.

B.  Their night pattern has gotten screwed up and they either are not aware of
it or it requires major repairs and they are in the process of having them
done.  Usually when this happens the FCC will issue a Special Temporary
Authority (STA) for the station to use a different facility than is specified
in their license for a temporary period while the repairs are made but this
usually involves operating temporarily at a lower power.  There has been no
FCC release concerning this.

I would suggest DXers in Europe get this one quick as this situation is not
likely to last.  Good luck!

73/DX - Al, K4GLU