Re: Night power switch

This is a message from Hakan Sundman <lhs@xxxxxxxxx>

At 10:05 11.2.1997 -0600, you wrote:
>This is a message from M Clinton <mclinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>For whats its worth,I have noticed that the larger stations tend to pull
>the switch from day/night patterns in increments of 15 minutes,like
>5:15,5:30,5:45,6:00,and so on....I mean I listen to say,WCCO,OR KSTP
>here in the twin cities area,and you can sorta hear when the switch is
>pulled,a slight delay and,if its a night pattern,say KSTP 1500khz,I can
>hardly pick them up 30 miles west of the Twin Cities,yet they routinely
>get calls from Montana,Cananda,Nebraska,on their nite call in shows.This
>is by the way on a car radio antenna!!!But it is noticed when the
>pattern switches.I also noted this habbit when I lived in Milwaukee,they
>tended to do it in 15 minute increments,depending on the time of year of
>course........for what its worth.....Tom Messer

Hello!
According to an article in the IRCA Almanac (4th edition 1985) FCC has
computed the local sunrise and sunset times for every AM broadcast station
in the US and lists those times in the station's license. The increments are
15 minutes and the times are given for every month separately. The stations
are  not allowed to use daytime powers and patters after/before the given
times. Hence your observations. This information is of extreme importance
when we log US stations here in Scandinavia as the sunrise or sunset in the
station area often makes the logging possible in spite of other usually
dominating stations.

73's de Hakan
* Hakan Sundman			Phone +358-(0)9-331 702	*
* Kissankellontie 9 C			Mobile +358-(0)400-544 371	*
* FIN-00930 HELSINKI		E-mail: lhs@xxxxxxxxx		*
* Finland							*