Re: the QSL debate

This is a message from Jorma Mantyla <jmantyla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

People wrote:

> I've enjoyed reading recent mail re. QSL. As a long time DX'er and former
> journalist at Radio Canada International, CBC Radio and the Christian
> Science Monitor shortwave service, I'd like to share the following thoughts.
>
> It's great to see strong support for the QSL element of the hobby. As a
> kid of about 12, hearing in Canada a station from Africa was an
> incredible thrill. But then getting that QSL card in the mail from Africa
> really cemented my passion for the hobby.  (...)
> reception reports. I haven't received a QSL card now for almost 15 years.
/.../
 > > My own view is that a QSL card proves nothing.

Hmm.. it seems that I started an interesting discussion by asking the
address of a station in Florida o8-)

I have been dx'er for 30 years and I believe I'll be dx'er for the
rest of my life.  Collecting QSL's is one part of the hobby; at this
moment I have 212 verified countries and some 1650 QSL's.
However, I must admit that my attitude about QSL has changed very much
during decades.  When I was young I did send hundreds of reports every
year, practically to every new station I found on the bands.
This year and last year I have sent reception reports practically
to the Americas only; no reports to Europe or Africa for 2 years.
I know there are some enthusiastic QSL-hunters in Finland who
send out 200 or even 500 reception reports every year.  Let them do
that, it is their business.  I send reports to stations I consider
'interesting' which varies from time to time.  Just at this moment,
when we have sunspot minimium, I like listening to North American
small local/regional AM-stations.  After two years I may listen
almost exclusively to Asia or FM - I don't know yet.

But now NA is in for me.  I heard WJNA Boynton Beach FL 1040 kHz
at 2233 UTC when they still used daytime pattern.  Some minutes later
they changed their antenna system.  That is why I consider that
station as 'interesting' and as a real dx-catch.  I have their taped
id and another dx'er has confirmed that taped id but I'd also like to
have the QSL of the station.  I have sent them a cassette to the
address mentioned in NRC AM Log, which may be old as the station has
recently changed call etc.  That is why I asked for the possibly new
address.

I don't agree when some people write that
>> ... a QSL card proves nothing.
I know there are stations sending out QSL's without reading reports &
letters.  But everybody knows that there are plenty of stations where
reports are read and confirmed only if they are correct.
I have been working at three commercial Finnish radio stations.
People love to read reception reports, especially if they come
outside the normal reception area.  In most cases it is not
difficult to reply to reports but because of commercial pressures
most people working at radio stations are very busy nowadays.

QSL's also have some value; they are far from being worthless.
However, it is very difficult to measure the value of a QSL.  For
me they have no commercial value, and for me the value on ranking
lists is at least questionable.

I think the value of QSL is mostly cultural and historical.  This
means that radio stations don't need to be 'rare' to be interesting.
Some people mentioned the old black&white Big Ben QSL of the BBC.
It is neither rare nor beautiful - but it is part of radio history
and indicates that it was sent out by friendly radio station.  I
have QSL's from such stations as Radio Veronica, Radio Espana
Independiente, Radio Euzkadi, Radio Volga, Radio Berlin International,
VoA Hue (South Vietnam 760 kHz), Radio Voice of the Gospel, KSBU
Okinawa 1360 kHz, KGEI San Francisco, WNBC New York 660 kHz (heard
during the last weeks they were on AM), Radio Grenada SW, Radio
Discovery 15045 kHz etc.

Some of these stations - like RBI or RVOG - were very easy to hear
but I claim their QSL's today have some value.

Jorma Mantyla
journalist/lecturer
Tornio College of Arts and Media
Radio Provinssi 92 & 101 MHz