Subj:    Fwd: Help With Dead Carrier
Date:    97-11-10 15:09:46 EST
From:    Radioears
To:      milcom@xxxxxxxxx

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Help With Dead Carrier
Date:    97-11-10 12:01:43 EST
From:    Radioears
To:      Milcom@xxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

This has been bugging me for quite some time and now with the winter DX
season coming up it's making me even more crazy. I've got dead carriers in
various parts of the spectrum; 160, 191, 254, and 289 kHz (strongest there).
In other areas I discovered that my daughter's fax machine in the next room
was repeating a dead carrier, but this time the fax machine isn't the
culprit. The signal is very strong on 289 kHz below the AM BCB, even with a
short four-foot wire antenna connected to the receiver. I use a Drake R8 with
a dipole antenna. Disconnect the antenna and the signal disappears, so it
isn't internally generated.
I'll be forever grateful if anyone can tell me what this "interference" might
be - it's worse than doorbell transformer or light dimmer switches!!
Thanks,
John