Re: [HCDX]: Macintosh software for the Drake R8B

Re: [HCDX]: Macintosh software for the Drake R8B

>I'm the proud owner of a brand new Drake R8B, and am wondering if anyone
>knows of any control software that is made to run on the Macintosh
>computer.  There's plenty (of course) for windows and DOS, but little SWL
>software for Macs, and none to control the Drake, that I can see.

Hello David!

Look at Jim Frimmel´s Frequency Valet!
(I have no commercial interest, but I think its a fine software for the good Macintosh!)

Greetings from Salzburg,
Christoph Ratzer, OE2CRM

BACKGROUND:

Frequency Valet was designed with PowerBook users in mind in order to provide a program suitable for use both at home and on the road.  The entire program size is intentionally small.  Your memory usage will depend on the datafiles you include with the program.  When used at home, it can provide computer control of the Drake R8, the Kenwood R-5000, and the JRC NRD-525 and NRD-535 receivers.  With or without computer control the program can be extremely useful to shortwave listeners by providing a continuous, automatic update of broadcasts on-the-air at 5, 15, 30, or 60 minute intervals.

PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:

HyperCard version 2.1 or better or the HyperCard Player is required for the operation of Frequency Valet.

COMPUTER CONTROL FOR DRAKE USERS:

Once control has been established, a new menu is created in the menubar called "Functions."  The last item of this menu, "Set Speed," will bring up a dialog box which asks you to insert a digit from 0 to about 4, depending on the speed of your computer.  This function establishes a small delay between the transmission of characters to the receiver.  Suggest you increase the speed one digit at a time until the receiver responds correctly.  A 2 or 3 should be about right for most users.

THE DATA FINDER:

The "Choices" menu opens a stack in a new window which contains a search button.  The search button offers three options, "BC Logbook," "Ute Logbook," and "Other."  Each of the log options will permit you to search for text strings in the log selected.  Found entries will appear in the scrolling field.  Selecting the "Other" option will allow you to search in any standard text file.

GETTING HELP:

On-screen help is available in two forms by selecting the Help (?) button.  Select "Info" to open a scrolling field containing detailed help about the program.  Select "Help" to get on-screen help by moving the cursor over the buttons and fields of the program.  Information about each object will appear in a dialog box.

SHAREWARE INFORMATION:

The "Info" field contains information about registering this shareware program.

Shareware users who remit the shareware fee and subsequently decide to purchase Shortwave Navigator should deduct the paid shareware fees rather than remitting the full price of $99.

FEEDBACK:

Please report all bugs and recommendations for improvement of this program to DX Computing, 232 Squaw Creek Road, Willow Park, TX 76087.  Telephone (817) 441-9188 or (817) 441-5555 (fax).

Enjoy!

Jim Frimmel
DX Computing
frimmel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
FreqValet version 1.3.4, 15 Nov 97

** Wanted WRTH: 1970, 1966, 1965, 1963 and before 1955 **

Rx: WJ HF 1000
Kiwa Loop, LWs