Re: [HCDX]: Re: Euro/NA opening collapsed

You wrote:

>At 12.21 7.1.1998 +0200, you wrote:
>>Yes, a nice beginning.  VOWR 800 heard here in Finland
>>despite St.Petersburg 801 kHz megawatter around 2050UTC.
>
>I think the interfering station was Bayerischer Rundfunk from Germany, in
>my mind St. Petersburg has been inactive for a long time. I should know it
>because I live less than 200 km away from St. Petersburg! That may be of
>news value for our North American colleagues, who wonder why such a strong
>tx is not heard.
>
>>trans-Atlantic conds had collapsed...
>
>Yes, nothing heard now with K-index being 5, and I would have had 3 days
>off from work!  But let's see what will be available around 20th January!
>
>73 Mauno Ritola
>Lappeenranta
>Finland

801 is usually Spain here with Jordan sometimes under.

800 is usually CJAD, CKLW, CHRC, WCCM, and PJB.  VOWR isn't too
common, nor is XEROK (but both of these can be heard on rare
occasions).

Europeans have been strong on the low end of the dial.  Algeria-549
is about the strongest of the lot: it's been car-radio copyable on
my ride home from work, at least when driving through flat marshy
areas.  Strongest high-band station lately is Saudi Arabia-1521, not
Norway-1314.

Mark Connelly (WA1ION) Billerica, MA, USA

On the antenna discussion, phased Beverages are the best (except
perhaps for full-sized broadcast towers).  A loop phased against
an active whip provides good one-direction nulls with a set-up
that can be mounted on the roof of the car (for those "mini-
DXpeditions" to top-notch beach or mountain sites.)