[HCDX]: Re: Euro opening starting again?

[HCDX]: Re: Euro opening starting again?

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 07:17:01 -0800 (PST) Nick_Hall-Patch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Nick Hall-Patch) writes:

>Thanks for your observations, J.D.   I generally find that TA
>reception from here favors the high latitude, and except for
>the odd directions which are indicated by my loop, might be
>more properly trans-Arctic rather than trans-Atlantic.
>I don't believe I've heard any evidence of Spain or

Yes, I would agree that these Northern Europeans were coming
over the pole, as my loop was pointed to my Northwest.  Really surprised
me.
Another interesting occurrence was that Croatia, even though more
mid-latitiude,
was also coming over the pole.

Interestingly, though, my reception of PCH-1620 did not come over the
pole,
as my loop was pointed to the Northeast, which - looking at a World map -
is roughly the direction one would expect to have to point the loop.
Orienting my
loop in the same direction as that which helped me bag Norway, Finland,
etc.,
resulted in 'nada' signal from PCH

The late-December Euro TA extravaganza was a great learning experience
for me,
as I had practically no previous experience trying for TAs.  My only TAs
up until
then had been Vatican-1611, which at that time operated on so clear a
frequency
you didn't need a communications-quality rig to hear it, and Saudi
Arabia-1521,
which came in so strong (s20 over 9) it took no expertise to bring it in
at 100%
intelligibility.

I'm looking forward to the next extended period of quiet geomagnetic
conditions, although
there's no telling when we'll have such low indices (zero and zero for
several days in a row).
Since I began paying attention to the WWV reports a few years ago, the
lowest values
I remember seeing were A index of 1,  and K of  zero.

73,

J.D. Stephens
jdstephens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx