Re: [HCDX]: Unfair DX ???

Al Merriman said -
>No station should ever be logged or reported by any DXer/SWL
>from any location other than their fixed home location.  Period.
>
>To do otherwise makes a complete joke of the entire hobby.

Are you kidding !?  What are DXpeditions for anyway ?
As long as you state the correct receiving location in the
report to the station I don't see a problem.  Yes it would
be silly to send reports to locals.  Most DXpedition reports
are of stations a great distance away, usually on the opposite
side of one of the major oceans.  DXpeditions are great ways
for DXers to get together as a social event and to test out
better antennas (e.g. Beverages) than are feasible at most
home locations.

When hams go on DXpeditions to various islands don't they
log the stations they QSO ?  Do the people who exchange
QSL's with these operators consider it a "joke" ?

>PS: Please no whining about living in a noisy location.  There is a
>    simple solution to this - move!

Some people actually have to be able to commute to jobs.  Some
people can't afford more than a small apartment in a congested
urban area.  The simple "moving" solution is to do a bit of mobile
DXing from somewhere nearby.  They can go somewhere to DX without
having to set up a permanent residence there.

Let's remember that we're talking about an activity that's suppose
to be fun.  As long as a DXer represents the true location from which
receptions were made, and puts "countries heard / logged / QSL'ed"
totals into different groups if locations varied greatly, I don't
see any difference.  If someone DX'ed from Massachusetts and from
California they should keep separate countries-veried lists.  This
is true whether the two sites represented different permanent
residences or two different temporary (holiday/vacation/DXpedition/etc.)
sites.

Saying that DXpedition loggings make "a complete joke of the entire
hobby" shows a rigidness and intolerance that we could do better
without.  Many technical advances have been made as a result of
DXpedition activity.  This is true whether the DXpedition is a
ham contest activity or a medium-wave outing to Newfoundland,
Sheigra, Lemmenjoki, or wherever.

I think that an important part of the hobby is sharing information
with others.  If driving an hour to the beach to log a few more
stations than can be heard at home can provide advanced word of
reception possibilities and point other DXers towards potential
targets, that's to be commended - especially when the DXer's
main objective is propagation study, enjoying exotic programming
content, and disseminating tips to help others (rather than just
racking up "totals" for ego-boosting).

Let's enjoy the hobby and try to be a bit less critical of others'
versions of their pursuit.  After all, there aren't as many
people DXing as they were 20 or more years ago.  Inflexible
attitudes aren't going to give newcomers much of a reason to
stay with DXing when computers, audio, sports, etc. are
competing for scarce and precious leisure time.

Mark Connelly - WA1ION
Billerica, MA, USA